+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which option would be best for me between post graduation work permit extension vs bridge open work permit after I applied the PR.

Mococok

Star Member
Dec 11, 2020
Hi, guys, I just applied for PR right before, thanks to you guy's help.

I am thinking about which option will be the best option between post-graduation work permit extension and Bridge open work permit.

My PGWP will end within 4 months and I am eligible for both PGWP Extention and Bridge open work permit.

I am currently working for a company and I want to continually work in Canada. The best option for me to get PR before my work permit end.

However, I guess it is not realistic due to COVID-19 and delayed the process of PR.

so I need to apply PGWP extension or Bridge open work permit

However, although I want to get PR like any others, I am not sure what will happen in the process of PR.

So should I apply for post-graduation work permit extension? as a backup?

Does anyone have the same experience?

Can you give me any advice?

Thank you,

ankitagoyal

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Vancouver
Hi, guys, I just applied for PR right before, thanks to you guy's help.

I am thinking about which option will be the best option between post-graduation work permit extension and Bridge open work permit.

My PGWP will end within 4 months and I am eligible for both PGWP Extention and Bridge open work permit.

I am currently working for a company and I want to continually work in Canada. The best option for me to get PR before my work permit end.

However, I guess it is not realistic due to COVID-19 and delayed the process of PR.

so I need to apply PGWP extension or Bridge open work permit

However, although I want to get PR like any others, I am not sure what will happen in the process of PR.

So should I apply for post-graduation work permit extension? as a backup?

Does anyone have the same experience?

Can you give me any advice?

Thank you,
Can I renew my post-graduation work permit?
No. Post-graduation work permits (PGWP) are a one-time opportunity for international students. Those students must have graduated from a PGWP-eligible program at a designated learning institution.
If you had to renew your passport
You can extend your PGWP with your new passport only if
  • you were eligible for a PGWP but
  • you didn’t get the full length because your passport was going to expire
Include this information in a letter of explanation when you apply to extend your PGWP.

Its better to apply for BOWP.
If you’re an Express Entry applicant
You may be able to apply for a bridging open work permit if

• you’re waiting for a decision on a permanent residence application under Express Entry
  • your current work permit expires in 4 months or less
  • you have valid status on your work permit
  • you’re currently in Canada

Also you may want to check this public policy:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

Mococok

Star Member
Dec 11, 2020
Can I renew my post-graduation work permit?
No. Post-graduation work permits (PGWP) are a one-time opportunity for international students. Those students must have graduated from a PGWP-eligible program at a designated learning institution.
If you had to renew your passport
You can extend your PGWP with your new passport only if
  • you were eligible for a PGWP but
  • you didn’t get the full length because your passport was going to expire
Include this information in a letter of explanation when you apply to extend your PGWP.

Its better to apply for BOWP.
If you’re an Express Entry applicant
You may be able to apply for a bridging open work permit if

• you’re waiting for a decision on a permanent residence application under Express Entry
  • your current work permit expires in 4 months or less
  • you have valid status on your work permit
  • you’re currently in Canada

Also you may want to check this public policy:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

Thank you for your answer.

However, I am eligible for a current new PGWP extension under new policy.

Here is a link.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

Thank you.

Last edited: