+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which NOC

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm currently going through a family sponsorship (me being the applicant) but I would
like to enter the express entry nonetheless to see if this will work faster for us.

However, Im get stuck deciding which NOC to base my application on.

I came to Canada about 2 years ago on a Senior Management Work Permit (Intra Company Transfer).
I have a Bachelor of Science in Geography and this does absolutely not qualify for the role that I took on here
in Canada - which was being a consultant in the finance sector.

My entire career has been based on software-/ and web-development so far. And that's where i have all my
credentials and work experience in.

Overview
Work Permit: Senior Management / Intra Company Transfer (Finance Sector)
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Geography (no work experience)
Career: Software & Web-Development
Work Experience in Canada: 1 Year as a consultant in the finance/banking sector

The application says my background/degree has to support the NOC but then again, my work experience in
Canada is based on a differenct NOC - that's neither supported by my degree, nor resume.

Hope this makes sense :)

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)
Matt

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
LOL, sorry, no, not very clear. For instance, you do not mention any NOC code : )

You choose the NOC that most closely describes your work based on job duties and responsibilities.

In general, education requirements are not considered, however there are exceptions. Some "regulated occupations" for example, require a specific education (doctors, nurses). Some combinations simply do not make sense (e.g. BA in theatre arts, claiming work as a physicist does not work, but a BA in theatre arts (or physics) working as a cook or in business that would be OK). In IT occupations, there are a lot of self-taught people, who have degrees in other fields; that is quite normal.

It just has to make sense for your occupation. a bonus - for ITCs, it's assumed the company has done (at least some of) the vetting...

PurpleTuzi

Star Member
May 26, 2016
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-11-2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
11-17-2016
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
10-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
19-01-2017
LANDED..........
10-03-2017
MattBurnes said:
Hey guys,

I'm currently going through a family sponsorship (me being the applicant) but I would
like to enter the express entry nonetheless to see if this will work faster for us.

However, Im get stuck deciding which NOC to base my application on.

I came to Canada about 2 years ago on a Senior Management Work Permit (Intra Company Transfer).
I have a Bachelor of Science in Geography and this does absolutely not qualify for the role that I took on here
in Canada - which was being a consultant in the finance sector.

My entire career has been based on software-/ and web-development so far. And that's where i have all my
credentials and work experience in.

Overview
Work Permit: Senior Management / Intra Company Transfer (Finance Sector)
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Geography (no work experience)
Career: Software & Web-Development
Work Experience in Canada: 1 Year as a consultant in the finance/banking sector

The application says my background/degree has to support the NOC but then again, my work experience in
Canada is based on a differenct NOC - that's neither supported by my degree, nor resume.

Hope this makes sense :)

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)
Matt
Don't make this complicated, email your JD and title to Noc@workingincanada.gc.ca. The government of Canada employs people to help with this.