+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

whether I should take IELTS for Federal Self Employed Program

momoJR

Apr 9, 2024
I've been thinking about applying for the Federal Self Employed Program for almost 6 months, but I've heard that the program is going to change this year, does anyone know if need IELTS or have to apply for a work permit in this year?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
A. Who told you it is changing?
B. Don‘t need IELTS but assume you know if your score is high enough without it. It is on the list of documents. Have you even read requirements and selection factors?
C. What do you mean? It is a PR program, no work permit. Processing is around 52-56 months and only around 1000 are approved each year.

What is your NOC?

MyTrueNorth

Jul 16, 2023
I've been thinking about applying for the Federal Self Employed Program for almost 6 months, but I've heard that the program is going to change this year, does anyone know if need IELTS or have to apply for a work permit in this year?
You ABSOLUTELY need to take IELTS for the Self-Employed stream. You're applying for Permanent Residence, not a work permit. The program is not changing, it's been placed under pause until at least January 2027, which means they won't be accepting new applications anymore. See here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2024/04/changes-to-the-start-up-visa-and-self-employed-persons-programs-to-help-reduce-backlogs-and-improve-processing-times.html