+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When will I receive P1 email- my express entry timeline is below

manp1988

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Canada
Hi, I am currently in Canada.
I applied for PR in Dec-2023. Received ITA and applied with documents on Feb 6, 2024.
Biometrics completed: April 24, 2024.
Medical completed- May 16, 2024. But after this, my application sits in 'background verification in-progress'. My eligibility is completed.
My spouse and a 1.9-month-old baby are also in that application. Upon checking their tracking: they also have 'background verification in-progress'. Their eligibility has not even started yet.
I haven't received the P1 email yet asking for my location.
  1. When can I expect that email? My work permit expires on Oct 2024.
  2. Will I receive my PR or at least the COPR before my WP expires
  3. My spouse is on a spousal work permit(open work permit). Can it be extended if the PR decision does not arrive by Oct. she is not the primary application in my PR application.
Thanks for the help!

funmusicgames

Dec 17, 2023
Hi.. Do you see a date in the Final Decision section in GC key? Only when a Final decision has been taken, then you are in queue to receive the P1 email. Till then, the application is still in progress. You can try getting the GCMS notes or calling ircc and checking the current status as the application status tracker is pretty much dead nowadays with no update what so ever. Regarding your work permit expiry, you can apply for BOWP to extend your current work permit, I think 3 or 4 months before expiry. Hope it helps and wish you get all the processes completed at the earliest.

manp1988

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Canada
Hi.. Do you see a date in the Final Decision section in GC key? Only when a Final decision has been taken, then you are in queue to receive the P1 email. Till then, the application is still in progress. You can try getting the GCMS notes or calling ircc and checking the current status as the application status tracker is pretty much dead nowadays with no update what so ever. Regarding your work permit expiry, you can apply for BOWP to extend your current work permit, I think 3 or 4 months before expiry. Hope it helps and wish you get all the processes completed at the earliest.
Thank you for info. I called IRCC the same day I wrote this post but all they said is my application is in-progress, and I need to wait for further update.
My question is: Since my spouse is on Open work permit and she is not the primary applicant in my PR application. From the post I read online, It seems she is not eligible for BOWP and she needs to go back after her WP expires this Oct. How can she do a soft landing in Canada if P1/P2 email comes post her WP expiry date?
She is added to my PR application but I am the primary applicant.

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
Thank you for info. I called IRCC the same day I wrote this post but all they said is my application is in-progress, and I need to wait for further update.
My question is: Since my spouse is on Open work permit and she is not the primary applicant in my PR application. From the post I read online, It seems she is not eligible for BOWP and she needs to go back after her WP expires this Oct. How can she do a soft landing in Canada if P1/P2 email comes post her WP expiry date?
She is added to my PR application but I am the primary applicant.
She is eligible for BOWP.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
She can apply as a spouse of a skilled worker with OWP.
I may be wrong, but that wont qualify as BOWP then, isnt it ? BOWP is obtained by principal applicant and then dependent applicant / spouse can apply for OWP based on BOWP of primary applicant.

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
I may be wrong, but that wont qualify as BOWP then, isnt it ? BOWP is obtained by principal applicant and then dependent applicant / spouse can apply for OWP based on BOWP of primary applicant.
Yes, BOWP is an open work permit. That's why a spouse can apply as well when you get it.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Yes, BOWP is an open work permit. That's why a spouse can apply as well when you get it.
I understand BOWP is OWP :) . My query is, any OWP obtained on basis of primary applicant's BOWP - is also called as BOWP ? OR is it just another OWP ?

Confusion is because you mentioned - She is eligible for BOWP, but official website says for BOWP - be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
I understand BOWP is OWP :) . My query is, any OWP obtained on basis of primary applicant's BOWP - is also called as BOWP ? OR is it just another OWP ?

Confusion is because you mentioned - She is eligible for BOWP, but official website says for BOWP - be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application
Yes, my bad. She is eligible for OWP if you have a BOWP.

Reactions: CNP

manp1988

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Canada

Thanks for the discussion. But from what I understood, spousal WP can be applied after the primary applicant WP is received or spousal WP can be applied while the primary BOWP is in progress?. we both are in Canada and our WP is expiring this Oct. I can apply for BOWP as I am primary applicant and my spouse is dependent on my application.

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
Thanks for the discussion. But from what I understood, spousal WP can be applied after the primary applicant WP is received or spousal WP can be applied while the primary BOWP is in progress?. we both are in Canada and our WP is expiring this Oct. I can apply for BOWP as I am primary applicant and my spouse is dependent on my application.
Both can apply: primary and dependent.