WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Hi all,

I'm finding it a bit difficult to understand when is the best time to book our tickets. I have the flight and cost already sorted, but I don't have any idea of the timing. I mean, I can't book the tickets now, as we still don't have confirmation on the visa. All arrangements have been made for our two dogs (pet relocation company). We know the price for each dog and where to pay the baggage fee (at the check-in counter). We have the price for two adult tickets + the price for our son (infant in lap). We know the baggage allowance for all three of us. The money is sitting in my bank account.

The thing is, we need to contact the airline in advance to make sure that we can confirm the bulkhead seats because we are travelling with our son and it would be much better to have these seats. We also need to let the airline know that we are taking our two dogs. Does anyone know if there is a standard amount of time the visa office gives to applicants? In other words, do they usually grant the visa at least 2 weeks prior to the expiration of the medical?

There are some other things we need to do like selling our car. We definitely don't want to travel all the way to Canada and then back to China to take care of these kinds of things.

We will be flying on Air Canada flight 16 out of Hong Kong (direct flight to Toronto).

Any helpful tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

FS

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why don't you fly on Cathay Pacific flight 826 out of Hong Kong (direct flight to Toronto)? Each adult passenger can have two free bags in CX instead of one free bag in AC unless you have certain frequent flyer status. Furthermore, CX is not as strict as AC when it comes to baggage weight allowance.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably book CX flights after my wife get her PR visa from Hong Kong VO. I only need about one month time in advance to confirm my dogs' booking. For car selling, I would entrust someone to do it for me and remit the proceeds.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
We would fly Cathay, but they are about CAD$1,250 more expensive. It doesn't make sense to spend the extra money. AC will allow us to bring 1 checked bag per adult, plus 1 checked bag for our son (same rules as an adult). We are only bringing two large suitcases and my golf clubs. We are also allowed to bring his stroller and he gets one carry on bag. We are not taking a lot of stuff, just our clothes, computers, iphones, and some other small items.

If we were taking a lot more, we might opt to fly Cathay. Air Canada is still a safe and (mostly) reliable airline.

What I am more interested in is the timing for booking the tickets and the standard amount of time the VO gives before the medical is due to expire.

As for the car, I am pretty sure my wife needs to be here to do that. Not only that, but we don't want to entrust someone else to do it for us...we shouldn't have any trouble selling it, it's just the price that is the unknown.

Thanks,

FS

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey FS!

I don't think anybody can really answer your question, as of course it depends on your case, your VO etc... but the deadline is the expiry of medicals, one year later... since yours was done in march ( from what I can see on your profile), then that's the last date that you can land... and hopefully you will get a decision much before that... your VO is not the fastest but not too bad either! and since you have a very straightforward case, and lots of proofs etc, I think it's reasonable to say that you'll get an answer fairly soon, and have lots of time to plan for your trip to Canada. Of course it's difficult to say much more than that, but I don't think you should worry about it too much, you have an "easy case", and it should not be a headache... but since there is nothing more that you can do now (you sent more proofs, and you prepared well your application, so you should be fine) - just sit back and relax, I know the waiting is not easy, but you will be fine.

Cheers,
Sweden

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Thanks, Sweden.

Yeah, I know it's hard to answer. It's really annoying not being able to know an approximate time so that we can sort out all of the necessary stuff like flights, pets, etc.

Even with a straightforward case, I don't see how that will help make things faster. If we get put in the line and there is 500 people in front of us, how would they possibly be able to get the visa issued quickly? Actually, this is something that I have been really interested in...do they have a system to sort the 'easy' applications from the 'not-so-easy'? I know of a whole bunch of cases (HK VO) where the case is basically the same as ours and they were able to get everything done (including the time for stage 1) within 6 months. How is that possible? They must have a sorting system...otherwise it would seem impossible given all the people ahead in line...no?

Does CIC have information on how they process the applications? I mean, is there a way to find out if they sort them or if it's just a matter of waiting in line...???

Thanks,

FS

swissbuoy

Aug 5, 2012
That is an interesting set of questions. I guess we'll never really find out for sure and it's probably a process that evolves over time. I want to believe that there has to be some type of sorting process. I suspect it is in their interest to process cases as efficiently as they can. It would see unfair in a way but I could see the logic!

I suppose for individuals who are required to provide more information / documentation they would loose their spot in the queue while the relevant office waits for a reply and continues to work on other applications. I have also wondered whether officials in Mississauga provide notes or commentary on their decision that helps local VO rank or sort the file when they get it?

I wish you luck with the pet move (and the whole move really). I flew with two dogs via third country once and I know how stressful it is. I guess having a pet relocation company do it will help.

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
I think it's partly just waiting in line, but if someone requires extra background checks, or an interview, or forgot to include a document, they're not going to make the whole line wait while they get the extra stuff done, are they?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
I'm pretty sure they do sort the files. On initial review, officers can likely see which cases will need interviews, which will take a while to come through the background checks and so on. That is why, for example, a case going through an office that takes 22 months can be completed in less than 6 (specific example I know of, similar in character to FS's).

The ways of CIC, from the outside looking in, can seem like madness. However there is some method to it, it's just that we're not privy to it.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
It would be nice if CIC posted their process...it doesn't have to be detailed to the point of giving away how they approve or reject, but at least they could let us know if they sort applications...

FS

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Air Canada's fee to change a ticket is not necessarily huge. Last resort you could lose a couple hundred to change a ticket so you won't totally lose out.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
We'll be booking online (expedia). It states that the tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable. I take that to mean we cannot change the dates once the tickets have been issued.

FS

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
If you book online with Air Canada you could solve that problem.

inlimbo

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-2009
File Transfer...
18-06-2009
Interview........
02-06-10
Fencesitter: relax! Wait until you have your visa and then book your tickets. You're thinking too far ahead.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
bagelbagel81 said:
If you book online with Air Canada you could solve that problem.
Yes... for sure I would recommend going through the airline! Especially for a single flight. You can book online or by phone.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Fencesitter said:
We'll be booking online (expedia). It states that the tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable. I take that to mean we cannot change the dates once the tickets have been issued.

FS
It doesn't matter if you use Expedia. After the ticket is issued you just call Air Canada with your confirmation number and pay the change fee IF necessary. We booked the day we got our PPR.