File Transfer...
28/07/2014
Med's Done....
Premedical done
VISA ISSUED...
11/08/2014 waheguru ne mehar kiti a
LANDED..........
SHORTLY
I got visa for electronics technician 8 months program but after reaching Canada I had changed my program to hotel management of 2 years in same college SIAST college.

Now my question is when to apply for extension?

Can I apply for extension or should I wait?

Couples of students in SIAST are saying you will not get visa extension as you had changed your program from 1 year to 2 year.

I am in dilemma.what to do now!!

And I got acceptance letter of hotel management.

Forum member please help

karan sandhu

Star Member
May 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
28/07/2014
Med's Done....
Premedical done
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
SHORTLY
friday.h said:
You can definitely get an extension for study permit. Ideally, you would want to apply for study permit extension before 90 days of expiration date or at least 30 days to help maintain your status and get a timely extension. If the study permit expires, you will have to apply for restoration of status which might be difficult as compared to extension.

There is no restriction on changing program at Post-Secondary level and as you have changed the program at same college/university you don't have to inform CIC as there is no change in DLI(Designated Learning Institution).
You can refer to your study permit, which should say as conditions: "Any Post-Secondary Program..."

You can also meet an International Adviser at your institution at the International Center to discuss your situation. In my research, I have found that there are very few cases when Study Permit extension is refused. Study permit may be refused if a student is not making timely progress in the program or if student is involved in any illegal activities or something similar.

After completion of 2 semesters of program, you can ask the institute to issue you a letter of academic progress or support to justify the extension.

I came to Canada for a 1 year program but have to extend it to two and I would be applying for a study permit extension in May 2015. I did change my program after arrival in Canada.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your response

But my college international adviser are advising me to apply for extension now that's why I am confused.

karan sandhu

Star Member
May 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
28/07/2014
Med's Done....
Premedical done
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
SHORTLY
friday.h said:
Alright!

CIC does not state when one can apply for extension. So, I am considering that the application can be made anytime as I just completed the set of questionnaire to apply online at CIC and got a checklist as follows:

Proof of Means of Financial Support
Passport or travel document
Proof of Medical Exam
Digital Photo
Letter of Acceptance

It's definitely safe to apply in advance. I will get program extension/change and enrollment letter from Registrar Office tomorrow and apply for extension at earliest date.

Most of the people everywhere I inquired, advised me to apply 3 months before the expiration date including the University's International Center which is probably incorrect. If CIC was not accepting applications at an advance date, the site would not have given me the option to submit application.

Many thanks to you Karan, for bringing this up as I had kept this aside for next year but am going to do it now for sure and would suggest same to you.

Good Luck!
Thanks

I don't have medical receipt hard copy what should I do now.

Can you help me when you will be doing your process.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

friday.h said:
Alright!

CIC does not state when one can apply for extension. So, I am considering that the application can be made anytime as I just completed the set of questionnaire to apply online at CIC and got a checklist as follows:

Proof of Means of Financial Support
Passport or travel document
Proof of Medical Exam
Digital Photo
Letter of Acceptance

It's definitely safe to apply in advance. I will get program extension/change and enrollment letter from Registrar Office tomorrow and apply for extension at earliest date.

Most of the people everywhere I inquired, advised me to apply 3 months before the expiration date including the University's International Center which is probably incorrect. If CIC was not accepting applications at an advance date, the site would not have given me the option to submit application.

Many thanks to you Karan, for bringing this up as I had kept this aside for next year but am going to do it now for sure and would suggest same to you.

Good Luck!

You can apply at the most 3 months in advance.