+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

when landing: family heirlooms - jewelry value

proxy

Dec 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) is it true that we do not pay taxes on any jewelry which is categorized as family heirlooms?
If so, all our jewelry (wedding rings, wedding gifts, other jewelry we acquired during our life, and presents we received) can be categorized as family heirloom. Any problem with that?

2) Do we need to provide appraisal value papers for jewelry that are categorized as family heirlooms?
Do we just guess how much CAD a particular jewelry piece would cost? or do we need to get the jewelry officially appraised?

3) when taking photos, does each item need to be photographed separately, or they can be grouped and photographed together?

4) I have a numismatic collection of coins and banknotes (various currency bills both current and old) I have been collecting since I was a kid. I'm going to put this in our GOODS TO FOLLOW list and bring sometime in the future. And maybe a few gold coins (american eagle $50). Do these ever need to be specifically declared, officially appraised? or I can just write "numismatic collection with nominal face value" on my GOODS to FOLLOW list?

thanks guys!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-goods.asp

What you can bring

When you move to Canada from another country, you may bring your personal and household goods with you without paying duty. But you will have to pay duty on any item you bring that has not been used. A duty is a fee that the government charges on some goods when they enter Canada.

You do not have to pay duty on:

Antiques
Appliances, such as a stove or refrigerator
Books
Clothes
Furniture
Hobby tools and other hobby items
Jewelry
Linens
Musical instruments
Private collections of coins, stamps or art
Silverware
Gifts (worth CDN $60 or less each)

You do have to pay duty on:

Items you have leased or rented. The Canada Border Service Agency does not consider that you own leased or rented items.
Items you have bought on your way to Canada
Vehicles you plan to use for business
Farm equipment
Equipment you plan to use in construction, contracting or manufacturing
If you are unsure about whether or not you have to pay duty on certain items, bring sales receipts and registration documents with you.

And from the link at the bottom of the page cited above...

Jewelry or precious ornaments

Officers may ask you questions about these items during your customs interview. Make sure you describe these items on your list of goods. To avoid delays at customs when you enter Canada:

On your list of goods, use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweler’s appraisal.
Have photographs of the items.
Know how much you paid for the items or have a receipt showing how much you paid. You do not need to pay duty or tax on family heirlooms.