+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What would be the best way of getting an extension to establish Common Law?

Jack_Scarlett

Aug 25, 2013
Ontario Canada (as a visitor)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello :)

My fiance is from Ontario and I am a US Citizen. We want to establish common law, but that takes one full year, I am only allowed 6 months at a time. We wanted to save money during the time we are waiting to become common law (to use towards the immigration process) He is under the assumption that around 5 months we can apply for a visitor record (hopefully for a year) But I'm under the assumption that you must already be married or established common law. Since we wont be starting the spousal sponsorship or PR application till after I'm considered common law, (Not sure if that is the best way to go about this) I'm not sure what our options are. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. What are all my options? What might be recommended.

Thank you for your time and input :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you should apply for an extension from within Canada. When you request the extension, explain that you are working towards becoming common law by living together for 12 months and plan to submit a common sponsorship PR application once you have accumulated enough time living together. A number of member of this forum have used this as a reason for extending a visit and CIC appears to accept this as perfectly reasonable.