+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what to do?

aisha007

May 25, 2009
Hi everyone :), I have a question. I am an international student in buffalo and I recently applied for a visitor's visa at the Canadian embassy in buffalo and I got a 3 year visa. My problem is that 4 years ago while studying in canada I received a departure order and I didn't leave on time. My question is, do I need an authorization to return to Canada even though the embassy didn't ask for one? or should I just travel ? Im really confused

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
Hi, Aisha.

1. Did you disclose the fact that you had previously been the subject of a departure order from Canada when you applied for your recent visitor's visa in Buffalo?

2. Please clarify: You received a departure order and then didn't leave on time, or, the departure order was the result of your not leaving on time?

These could be very important points.

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
Aisha,

Sorry for the extra post here but I wanted to be as specific as possible.

On page 3 of the visa form, under "Background Information", Question #2c:

"Have you ever been refused admission or been ordered to leave Canada or any other country (No / Yes)";

If you answered yes to #2c, you were asked to provide details in 2d.

What did you enter for these questions on your application?

aisha007

May 25, 2009
First thank you very much for your reply, I do appreciate :) To answer your questions, I applied for an extension of my student visa while i was in canada and they asked me to go back to my country to reapply but I didn't leave right away and I didn't notify immigration when i left, I didnt know that I had too. Now back to the present visa application, I did answer truthfully to all questions asked and i did disclose all the information about my past denied visa but still they gave me a visa and didn't ask for ARC. I'm just scared that i might be denied entry at the border. What do you suggest i should do?Thank you for your time

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
Aisha,

Given your disclosure when you applied, the earlier issues seem not to represent blocks to your eligability for a visitor's visa.

Is it possible that you were told to re-apply through your home country and that this did not, in fact, represent a denial - just a redirect to doing it "by the book"? Your current visa has been granted; with what was in the system and in your application, the officer apparently didn't feel you were an overstay risk.

Perhaps one of the senior members will have better insight, but given the above, I doubt you would have any issues at the border. If you do, I'd think you could point to your complete disclosures in your visa application. From what you've said, you did what was required and told them everything.

Best of luck!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
For how long was your overstay?

aisha007 said:
First thank you very much for your reply, I do appreciate :) To answer your questions, I applied for an extension of my student visa while i was in canada and they asked me to go back to my country to reapply but I didn't leave right away and I didn't notify immigration when i left, I didnt know that I had too. Now back to the present visa application, I did answer truthfully to all questions asked and i did disclose all the information about my past denied visa but still they gave me a visa and didn't ask for ARC. I'm just scared that i might be denied entry at the border. What do you suggest i should do?Thank you for your time