+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to do when work permit expires but visa still valid?

hkkh

Mar 27, 2020
I have a post graduation work permit (PGWP) that will be expiring in August 2025 and I have a visitor visa that will be expiring in May 2026. I applied and received both the permit and the visa from inside Canada. I need clarity on something and that is, do I need to leave Canada when my work permit expires or can I stay if my visitor visa is still valid?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a post graduation work permit (PGWP) that will be expiring in August 2025 and I have a visitor visa that will be expiring in May 2026. I applied and received both the permit and the visa from inside Canada. I need clarity on something and that is, do I need to leave Canada when my work permit expires or can I stay if my visitor visa is still valid?
If you want to stay, then you need to apply for a visitor record before your PGWP expires.

hkkh

Mar 27, 2020
If you want to stay, then you need to apply for a visitor record before your PGWP expires.
I just looked up what a visitor record and thank you so much that is exactly what I was looking for. I had heard of a visitor record but I had no idea what it's actually for and it's literally the solution to my problem lol. I had asked this question to IRCC using their web form and they just gave the most generic automated reply that didn't even answer my question or mentioned anything about a visitor record so again thank you hope you have an amazing day.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just looked up what a visitor record and thank you so much that is exactly what I was looking for. I had heard of a visitor record but I had no idea what it's actually for and it's literally the solution to my problem lol. I had asked this question to IRCC using their web form and they just gave the most generic automated reply that didn't even answer my question or mentioned anything about a visitor record so again thank you hope you have an amazing day.
IRCC doesn't give immigration advice and so it makes sense you received a generic response.

hkkh

Mar 27, 2020
IRCC doesn't give immigration advice and so it makes sense you received a generic response.
Yeah makes sense. But I still feel like even an automated response should be able to steer you into the right direction instead of answering my query with the definition of a TRV and PGWP. Anyways glad this forum and people like you exist :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah makes sense. But I still feel like even an automated response should be able to steer you into the right direction instead of answering my query with the definition of a TRV and PGWP. Anyways glad this forum and people like you exist :)
The definition of a TRV should have explained that a TRV is just a travel document and does not guarantee entry into Canada or a length of visit.