+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to do after Confirmation of Permanent Residence

J. Pizzle

Mar 1, 2015
I got a letter that says "We have approved your application for permanent residence in Canada." That's great! I live and work in Canada now. To actually get the document, it says I can either leave the country and return, in which case I would receive the PR visa at the port of entry, or I can call the IRCC call centre to arrange an appointment. I plan to leave the country for a wedding in February, but the letter says I should make an appointment as soon as possible. I called the IRCC call centre, but I can't figure out how to actually reach any person to make an appointment. None of the robot options make any sense at all for what I'm trying to do. I tried several options at random, but they all seem to lead in circles designed to prevent me from ever getting an answer.

Does anyone know the secret to reaching a person or even an automated "appointment mode" or something similar?

J. Pizzle

Mar 1, 2015
Apparently no one has any idea what to do at this step. To help future confused immigrants, here's the answer. Step 1: ignore the instructions on the letter you received. They are wrong. Do not bother calling the IRCC call centre. There is no way to reach a person to do as the letter instructs. According to the instructions I received in reply to the web form I submitted, what you need to do if you have approved for Express Entry PR and you live in Canada is submit a web form (a "case specific enquiry" available on the CIC website). Explain in the enquiry that you want to confirm your PR status. Include your current mailing address in your message. When they get the message, they will forward it to your local IRCC office. The local office will then try to reach you to schedule an appointment.
Good luck!