+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What steps to take?

hello86

Feb 20, 2017
I would appreciate any help or advice regarding my situation. Thanks in advance.

Me and my wife applied for PR visas last year and got stamped and approved this January. In February there was a breakdown in the relationship and we filed for annulment. I know I should inform CIC before landing but I am concerned this would affect my PR status. I was the principal applicant and my wife only added 5 points due to her IELTS score. If I inform CIC will I need to start the application process again? or will the filling papers of annulment be enough?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
You have to either land first or with your wife. Your wife cant land before you. Were her 5 points essential to your eligibility? If yes, then it will affect your PR as you you need your wife to be eligible. If you had the points and your wife's points didnt matter, then it's no problem for you.

You could take the risk of going ahead and not informing CIC but I dont know if that will come back to bite you.

hello86

Feb 20, 2017
Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm worried about when I will apply for PR renewal or citizenship in the future? will they ask about my marital status or whereabouts of my wife?

When the annulment is granted months down the line do I still need to inform them?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Until it's granted, you are still married (in my opinion). Unless there are outstanding circumstances, even legal separation in Canada is one year. When it comes time for renewal, or next years taxes, start filing as single. Update IRCC at the time of renewal of your status change. Marriages can and do break down over the course of 5 years.

hello86

Feb 20, 2017
Thank you so much for the clarification.

I'm curious what would happen if I inform CIC now? The 5 points were non essential to me. Would they ask for the visa back? Would I be asked to start a new application?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
hello86 said:
Thank you so much for the clarification.

I'm curious what would happen if I inform CIC now? The 5 points were non essential to me. Would they ask for the visa back? Would I be asked to start a new application?
Until you are legally separated, CIC does not care about your marriage situation

(Imagine every time CIC receives email from applicant "I had an argument with my wife...")

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
hello86 said:
So the fact that annulment was already filed is not a problem?
Annulment means that the marriage is null and void - it never happened. Once the annulment is granted, your status is single and not separated or divorced. During the annulment, you are still married.