+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WHAT IS THERE TO DO?

Jozi-13

Oct 4, 2024
Hello, Desperately need lead, recourse, or advice on what to do when a person I sponsored ( a Canadian citizen now) in mid 1990's. I found out they applied and received welfare assistant lived in Gov housing, never worked yet worked under the table. without my knowledge. I was NOT informed by the sponsored person and or by the Province about the ordeal until I contacted the immigration office( back in 2017 ) on how I can participate on a group sponsorship to help for a person who was stuck in south Sudan. Recently Of course the Gov is asking Me to pay back the amount received by the sponsored person. Would the Gov had informed Me on the initial incident tome? NO!, did the sponsered person tampered with the welfair application to be approved? probably YES. after all The sponsor person stated they are not, nor will not pay.
Mind you the total stress created up on Me and going . I am the victim here for many reasons. Some suggested 1 inform the fraud to Immigration? and File a case at superior court since the amount they took is over small claim court amount. ANY LEAD< ANY ADVICE< OR ARE THERE VICTUMS GROUP I CAN JOIN TO PUSH THIS CASE? many thx!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, Desperately need lead, recourse, or advice on what to do when a person I sponsored ( a Canadian citizen now) in mid 1990's. I found out they applied and received welfare assistant lived in Gov housing, never worked yet worked under the table. without my knowledge. I was NOT informed by the sponsored person and or by the Province about the ordeal until I contacted the immigration office( back in 2017 ) on how I can participate on a group sponsorship to help for a person who was stuck in south Sudan. Recently Of course the Gov is asking Me to pay back the amount received by the sponsored person. Would the Gov had informed Me on the initial incident tome? NO!, did the sponsered person tampered with the welfair application to be approved? probably YES. after all The sponsor person stated they are not, nor will not pay.
Mind you the total stress created up on Me and going . I am the victim here for many reasons. Some suggested 1 inform the fraud to Immigration? and File a case at superior court since the amount they took is over small claim court amount. ANY LEAD< ANY ADVICE< OR ARE THERE VICTUMS GROUP I CAN JOIN TO PUSH THIS CASE? many thx!
I'd suggest you contact an immigration lawyer for a consultation. I warn in advance my gut is that pursuing this legally is likely to end up nowhere and even if successful, cost you more in fees and expenses than you'd recover (although I don't know the amounts involved). The point of getting a consultation would be to determine whether this is realistic at all / within reasonable expenses given chances of success.

Some points:
-you don't say who you sponsored/what type of sponsorship - but the important thing is really the length of the sponsorship agreement you signed, when the assistance was used, and were these expenses in the scope of the agreement. If the assistance was provided within that period, you're still on the hook. A lawyer may not be able to tell you much more than what you could figure out by reading, but you need this info.
-you ask if government informed you etc - the real question (IMO) is whether govt is required to notify you, and if so, whether not notifying you renders any assistance 'unrecoverable' (does it relieve you of responsibility). My guess is a lawyer will tell you the answer is no - or if the answer is yes, that challenging this might prove epxensive.
-Similarly for the fraud you allege: you can and should provide info and perhaps the government will act upon it (their choice will likely depend how concrete the evidence is), perhaps it will recover some money (quite unlikely is my guess but you never know), and whether (IF money is recovered) that would reduce any amounts you might owe/have already paid. (If it's unlikely they recover anything, it's also unlikely you'd recover much - but not impossible).
-That might leave some elaborate claim that government wasn't sufficiently careful about use of these funds/checking eligibility or made some administrative or legal error. If the lawyer catches a clear and obvious error - maybe. Otherwise - farfetched and expensive (legal fees).

Good luck. My guess though is your chances are low of recovering much / avoiding liability, or if you can, your expenses would be higher. You signed a guarantee, is the bottom line. But it might make sense to check with a lawyer, who may know whether any such challenges have chances of success, etc.

Reactions: canuck78

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are legally responsible to pay this money back. You agreed to these terms when you signed the sponsorship agreement. There is no way to get out of this legal agreement.

Immigration does not deal with welfare fraud. Immigration will simply tell you that you are legally responsible for paying this money back.

You are free to hire a lawyer. I haven't personally seen anyone be successful in getting out of this obligation. You would likely end up wasting a lot of money on lawyer only to end up in the same situation you are in now.

I'm not aware of any victim groups related to this scenario.

You cannot participate in any further sponsorships until you repay the money that you owe as a result of your obligations under the previous sponsorship. You do not qualify as a sponsor at this time.

Ultimately repaying this money is your legal responsibility and you agreed to this legal responsibility.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'd suggest you contact an immigration lawyer for a consultation.
I should note: see the post above from @scylla. I'm no more optimistic than they are - I agree fully.

My advice about seeing a lawyer for a consultation is mostly so that you see a lawyer who - if they are honest - will 99% confirm it's not going to make sense to pursue this further.

But if you can get to the point of acceptance of this without seeing a lawyer, that also works.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not spelled out explicitly in the post but you should be contacting the social assistance office in the province where the person you sponsored is located. If you have evidence I would also submit that as well.