+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is P.G in Mass media n communication counted as?

darkkid85

May 11, 2021
Long time lurker, first time poster. Hopefully, we get some traction to move forward with our Canada PR process.

I am Software engineer (36) with 14 years of experience & my wife(33) is an advertising professional with about 5 years of experience, based outta India.

• I am soon to be 36 years (In August), is there any chance of a Canada immigration for me and my wife (33) or have we missed the boat?
  • Do i need both IELTS and E.C.A accreditation before creating an express entry profile?
  • My wife has done her Post graduation diploma in Mass media & communication . Will that be counted as Bachelors or Masters? I found nothing on the Degree equivalency tool on either IQAS, ICS or WES.

Reactions: KabeerWest77

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
I am soon to be 36 years (In August), is there any chance of a Canada immigration for me and my wife (33) or have we missed the boat?
Never too late but there are ways based on your experience. You may search for PNP, specifically Ontario PNP and British Columbia PNP
Ontario PNP
British Columbia PNP

Do i need both IELTS and E.C.A accreditation before creating an express entry profile?
Yes

My wife has done her Post graduation diploma in Mass media & communication . Will that be counted as Bachelors or Masters? I found nothing on the Degree equivalency tool on either IQAS, ICS or WES.
Please provide the exact awarded degree name and the university which awarded it so to make a speculation about the Canadian equivalency

darkkid85

May 11, 2021
I am soon to be 36 years (In August), is there any chance of a Canada immigration for me and my wife (33) or have we missed the boat?
Never too late but there are ways based on your experience. You may search for PNP, specifically Ontario PNP and British Columbia PNP
Ontario PNP
British Columbia PNP

Do i need both IELTS and E.C.A accreditation before creating an express entry profile?
Yes

My wife has done her Post graduation diploma in Mass media & communication . Will that be counted as Bachelors or Masters? I found nothing on the Degree equivalency tool on either IQAS, ICS or WES.
Please provide the exact awarded degree name and the university which awarded it so to make a speculation about the Canadian equivalency
The name of the degree is post graduation diploma in advertising and communication.

The awarding institute was

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
Post Graduate Diploma in Advertising and Communication from EMDI Mumbai which is at EMDI Bombay
It is jut a 1 year degree as it is more like a diploma.
She has also done her Bachelors in Mass media (3 years)

How do i check its equivalence on WES? I chose this tool called https://applications.wes.org/.../degree.../poe.asp & found nothing. Pls assist!
WES didn't evaluate certain 1 year / 2 year post graduate diploma certificates in the past. There is least possibility that the specific post graduate diploma will be assessed by WES or any ECA agencies. Since this is not a recognized institute. But you can give it a try and wait for the outcome. If you get it assessed as one year certificate then you got it !
Good luck mate

Reactions: darkkid85

darkkid85

May 11, 2021
WES didn't evaluate certain 1 year / 2 year post graduate diploma certificates in the past. There is least possibility that the specific post graduate diploma will be assessed by WES or any ECA agencies. Since this is not a recognized institute. But you can give it a try and wait for the outcome. If you get it assessed as one year certificate then you got it !
Good luck mate
]

Last edited:

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
I have pasted my wife's transcript screenshot below, Can u check once? @dankboi

Bacherlors degree screenshot as well , can be checked here!!!!
University of Mumbai is a recognized institution and WES will assess the transcripts. Regarding the course there is 50/50 Chance that it could be evaluated as Diploma of 3 years. This depends on the Transcript and the Semester credentials the candidate had at the particular year of academic term. WES compares the credits and academic curriculum that the applicant had in the foreign country with Canada's curriculum of the same course. If they find that Canada's Bachelors of Mass media / similar course is considerably or +80% similar they'd consider the foreign credential as equivalent.

So it depends. But on the positive side this bachelors is from a recognized university.

Whereas I don't think the 1 year certificate course will be assessed since it don't seem a recognized institutional body. But you can try and out of luck if WES assess it as a 1 year certificate then you have it !

Thanks for the transcript copies and you shaould remove it from the post as soon as you see this response.

Last edited:

darkkid85

May 11, 2021
University of Mumbai is a recognized institution and WES will assess the transcripts. Regarding the course there is 50/50 Chance that it could be evaluated as Diploma of 3 years. This depends on the Transcript and the Semester credentials the candidate had at the particular year of academic term. WES compares the credits and academic curriculum that the applicant had in the foreign country with Canada's curriculum of the same course. If they find that Canada's Bachelors of Mass media / similar course is considerably or +80% similar they'd consider the foreign credential as equivalent.

So it depends. But on the positive side this bachelors is from a recognized university.

Whereas I don't think the 1 year certificate course will be assessed since it don't seem a recognized institutional body. But you can try and out of luck if WES assess it as a 1 year certificate then you have it !

Thanks for the transcript copies and you should remove it from the post as soon as you see this response.
Hi @dankboi ,

Cannot find the option to choose Bachelor of Mass media or even Bachelor of Engineer on WES site, am i doing something wrong place?
I am using the WES equivalence tool at https://applications.wes.org/.../degree.../poe.asp

KabeerWest77

Feb 13, 2023
Someplace, Earth
Category........
FSW
Can u show a pic?
I'm looking at degree equivalent tool, where is required documents?
@darkkid85 can you please mention what FIELD of STUDY did you/your wife finally select (for her BMM Degree) when you were filling out the Express Entry form?

I'm also a Media & Comms Bachelors-Graduate and there is No field of Study such as Mass Media or Media and Communication in the Express Entry online form under the "Field of Study" of the Academic section.
This has got me really stuck.

Would appreciate knowing how did you/your wife tackle this?