+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What if we abandon approval?

donfather

Sep 28, 2019
Hello Visa Whiperer and everyone else.

We applied for the spousal Permanent Resident status, but that was last year and I suspect we are about to be approved. We all know that Covid has wreaked havoc on our lives and things have changed for us. What if we get approved and we don't return to Canada within the specified timeframe? Will that give us trouble in the future if we return and THEN apply again when we are in Canada or if we want to re-apply from overseas? Or should we just cancel the application right now to avoid any bad record?

Thanks so much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Visa Whiperer and everyone else.

We applied for the spousal Permanent Resident status, but that was last year and I suspect we are about to be approved. We all know that Covid has wreaked havoc on our lives and things have changed for us. What if we get approved and we don't return to Canada within the specified timeframe? Will that give us trouble in the future if we return and THEN apply again when we are in Canada or if we want to re-apply from overseas? Or should we just cancel the application right now to avoid any bad record?

Thanks so much.
It just means the visa will expire and you won't be able to use it. If you want to move sometime in the future, you'll need to apply again. I don't see how this will create a bad record. Let's say you are approved and don't use the visa - you would simply include a letter with your new application in the future explaining that you made the decision not to move or were unable to move at that time due to COVID and that you are reapplying now as you are now ready to make the move to Canada. IMO this isn't something to be worried about. I would personally move ahead with your current application. You may end up with a COPR date that works for you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Other than needing perhaps needing stronger proof that you intend to move back to Canada after receiving COPR there are likely no negative consequences.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
I would personally move ahead with your current application. You may end up with a COPR date that works for you.
You could also, go ahead with the current application, activate PR and rely on the leniency of the RO to give you some time IF you do think that moving to Canada is still something you want to do in the future (between the time on your COPR and the RO leniency that would give you most likely 3 and a half year before the move by doing a soft landing).

Even if your plans get delayed more, you could always renounce PR and reapply for it when you qualify. Like Canuck78 mentioned, the only thing potentially would be a bit more question as to whether this time you would really be ready and intent on moving to Canada, but that is not a very difficult bar to pass in those situations.