+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does "up-to-date" exactly mean in the required documents list?

lbelch

Aug 7, 2012
Hi, I'm on a PGWP, and currently accumulating work experience in preparation for CEC.

I have a question regarding the list of documents required.

================== following is the copy from the document ==============

Work Experience in Canada

For the principal applicant:

- copy of your most recent work permit,
- copies of your most recent T4 tax information slips and your Notice of Assessment issued by
Canada Revenue Agency,
- up-to-date letters of reference from your past and current employers for the past 3 years.

Letters must be:
- written on company letterhead,
- signed by the responsible officer / supervisor,
- have the printed name and title of the responsible officer/supervisor beneath the signature,
- show the company's full address, telepohne and fax numbers, e-mail and website addresses,
- stamped with the company's official seal (if applicable).

Letters must include all of the following information:

- the specific period of your employment with the company,
- the positions you have held during the period of employment and the time spent in each

position,
- your main responsibilities and duties in each position,
- your total annual salary plus benefits,
- the number of hours worked per week.

Additional supporting documents may include:

- copies of work contracts,
- copies of pay stubs.

==========================================================================

Now, for - up-to-date letters of reference from your past and current employers for the past 3 years. this part, I am a bit confused.
This isn't a grammatical question, but I don't seem to understand the reason of documents being up-to-date and when that "up-to-date" should be.

So here are 2 hypothetical situations, which one is correct?

A. Grab the letter from each employer as soon as I stop being their employee.
B. Grab all the letters at once from multiple employers in a close date to the CEC application date.

Thanks for your time and I will be looking forward to your replies!

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
My interpretation of this is that the letters should be recent and accurate. For instance - if CIC decides to call the employer and get more info, and the employer tells CIC that your job description, duties, responsibilities and whatnot, have changed...then CIC will make the case that your letters are not up to date.

Normally, one would have a letter from their employer that is no older than 3 months at the time of the app submission. This ensures that the employer has given an accurate description of your position within the company.

I believe that option B (per your text) would more than likely work out best. Get letters from employers as the date of your application approaches. If you are unable to secure a letter or it is out of date, you can always attach an explanation letter, stating what the issue is. However, it is best practice to have the letters as requested by CIC. From what I have read, CIC is getting quite stingy with their consideration for requested docs.