+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does University of Alberta look out for in a candidate ?

Shanab Ahmed

Apr 9, 2018
Hi !
I applied to university of alberta for Masters in Civil Engineering course based program and got an email this week stating that I had been rejected.
I have scored 8.66/10 GPA from a well reputed govt university Jamia Millia Isamia, New Delhi, India.
I have 8 months of work experience in the relevant field and completed an internship.
Attended various workshops and secured III position in Bridge Building Competition and given seminar on various topics.
I think research is not required for course based program.

I can't figure out where should I improve so as not to get rejected for the next intake.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately Canada has become a very popular destination for international students so the competition to get into these programs is really high. These are small programs so there aren't a lot of spots for international students. Your profile looks very good although I don't know anything about universities in India. I would encourage you to continue working and apply to 3-5 schools if you apply again. Most Canadian students apply to many masters programs because the competition is high.