+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What does my family do if trump becomes president

Jul 6, 2024
What does my family do if trump becomes president for a second time should we seek asylum as I am transgender and autistic I am verbal and could live on my own and im 27 years old as I live with my parents and brother right now as I have 2 brothers one is gay and has a boyfriend but lives in Minnesota and the other one is still in highschool and lives at home with us. what does and my family do would want to bring my parents and my brothers an my brothers boyfriend to Canada
Sorry for no or little punctuation

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What does my family do if trump becomes president for a second time should we seek asylum as I am transgender and autistic I am verbal and could live on my own and im 27 years old as I live with my parents and brother right now as I have 2 brothers one is gay and has a boyfriend but lives in Minnesota and the other one is still in highschool and lives at home with us. what does and my family do would want to bring my parents and my brothers an my brothers boyfriend to Canada
I'm not sure this is a good plan. The chances of your refugee claim being accepted are going to be extremely low.

If you still want to try to claim refugee status, you would need to do that from within Canada and be prepared to remain in Canada for two plus years while you wait for the application to be processed and know if you've been refused or approved. You will not be able to include any family members in your application. The refugee application would be for you alone.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to prove that there is no safe location for you in the US which will be very difficult to prove. You would be expected to show why you can’t live in a democratic state for example. Would add that being a trans person in Canada can also be extremely difficult especially in some provinces and that sadly trans people face similar discrimination in Canada than many places in the US. Your best bet is to move to a more liberal democratic state. As previously noted your family would not qualify for asylum with you. I would also expect that the Canadian government would try very hard to challenge your grounds for asylum, like they are doing in another case, in order to avoid setting precedent.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Out of curiosity, what is your status in the US?

Jun 14, 2024
Navigating a potential second Trump presidency can be challenging, especially for those concerned about their safety and rights. As a transgender and autistic individual, you might consider seeking asylum in Canada with your family, including your gay brother and his boyfriend. For a lighter perspective on Trump, exploring humor books on Trump might provide some relief amidst the uncertainty.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
What's wrong with Trump?

davenportdiamond

Sep 21, 2023
Claiming refugee protection in Canada as a US citizen on account of being trans is an uphill battle.

This is a judicial review that was granted on the request of the Minster of Immigration overturning an IRB judgment granting a trans woman refugee protection, and her claim was based on a risk she faced from her ex-roommate that was specific to her. Without that, and just on risks general to trans people, it'd be even more difficult to get refugee protection.

You'd be much better off as an economic migrant.
  • If you work a skilled job, look into CUSMA work permits.
  • If you have a degree, you might be able to get permanent residence status straight if you learn French.
  • Even if you don't get PR, learning French can get you a work permit without an LMIA.
  • If your education or work experience isn't enough to get you into Canada yet, look into study permits.
If you apply for refugee protection, you'd effectively be barred from any form of economic migration pathway that involves an intermediate temporary residence step since one of the requirements for being granted temporary residence status is that you'll leave Canada at the end of your authorized period of stay.

It's unlikely you'll be able to bring the rest of your family with you. Once you're a permanent resident, you might try to sponsor them, but that takes ages and you probably shouldn't count on it. Especially your brothers since there's no pathway to sponsor siblings unless you don't have anyone else you can sponsor or who otherwise lives in Canada.

The situation might change with the implementation of Project 2025, but as it stands, it's unlikely that you'll get granted protection as a trans person. The biggest hurdle would be the availability of an internal flight alternative where you'd be able to move to a blue state which generally have strong protections for trans people.

Reactions: mappleowlqc