+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What constitutes "work" for PGWP ineligibility

Apr 4, 2020
Does anyone have an experience with the following situation? I applied for a PGWP in May and later on (to my horror) realized that my application may ultimately get rejected because literally the day after I received my confirmation of graduation letter I only accepted a job offer that 'formally' started that day but didn't in fact start (I didn't actually start working the job) until after the day I applied for my PGWP. I appended a letter from my employer to my application stating that although I had an employment contract formally 'starting' the day after I received my confirmation of graduation letter, I didn't actually do any paid or unpaid work until the date after I applied for a PGWP. Now that I am reading the law more carefully, apparently "work" is defined as "an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market" (see this operations manual used by immigration officers).

Now I am really scared about the possibility of my PGWP application getting rejected. I have a very competitive job lined up starting in September and I would lose everything that I have been working for and be utterly devastated if my PGWP application were to get rejected. Intuitively, there should be no problem because work is defined as an "activity", and I literally didn't do anything before I applied for a PGWP, but I worry that this will be overlooked as I don't know how the definition is interpreted in practice. It is a very specific situation but any relevant experiences would be much appreciated.