+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What classifies as 'common-law' in Alberta?

bteo1

Sep 5, 2019
My partner and I have been in a relationship for 3 years and living together for 1 year and 9 months. What do we need to do for Canada to recognize us as 'common law'?

CRA has classified us as common-law, does that mean the federal government will also classify us as common-law, so I can place a spousal sponsorship application under common law?

If there's an extra step to officially become 'common law,' and we did that this week, would it risk our application as we applied for common law so recently (the date we entered in a common law relationship would be recent)?

Thanks!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
My partner and I have been in a relationship for 3 years and living together for 1 year and 9 months. What do we need to do for Canada to recognize us as 'common law'?

CRA has classified us as common-law, does that mean the federal government will also classify us as common-law, so I can place a spousal sponsorship application under common law?

If there's an extra step to officially become 'common law,' and we did that this week, would it risk our application as we applied for common law so recently (the date we entered in a common law relationship would be recent)?

Thanks!
I am assum8ng you are ask8ng about common law spousal sponsorship? If so, then it will be different definitions for different agencies. Forget about CRA, it is the definition and evidence requirements for IRCC spousal sponsorship that matter. At least 12 month continuous co habitation and proof of such. Read the checklist, forms and on line help, they are pretty clear.

bteo1

Sep 5, 2019
On one of the form questions, it asks us to enter the date we entered in the common-law relationship. Looked it up on the instructions for help and it specifies that it's NOT the date we started living together, but the 'the date your status officially changed from being single to common-law." My question is what defines has 'officially changed,' and how do we make it 'official?'

Is the 'official date' just 12 months after we started living together?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
On one of the form questions, it asks us to enter the date we entered in the common-law relationship. Looked it up on the instructions for help and it specifies that it's NOT the date we started living together, but the 'the date your status officially changed from being single to common-law." My question is what defines has 'officially changed,' and how do we make it 'official?'

Is the 'official date' just 12 months after we started living together?
Common-law is a de facto status. Nothing official happens. You just become common-law 12 months after you started living together.