+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What can I do while my Visa is being processed?

KtMcrorie

Apr 6, 2010
Hi!
I am an American Citizen. I met my boyfriend who is a Canadian Citizen about 2.5 years ago when he came here to get his Masters in Chemistry. We have lived together for over a year and plan to get married someday but we are only 25 and we want to wait until it would be easier for us financially. He is done with his Masters Program next month so his student visa is expiring. we are about to send out our visa application as a Common Law spouses. We have seen each other every day since we met and lived together quite a while. Neither of us can imagine having to be separated while our application is being processed. Am I allowed to live in Canada and just not work while we are waiting for the application to be approved? Also right now we are living in San Diego but he is from Nova Scotia and I am from Maine so we are heading back east soon so that we are at least close to each other while we wait. How long am I legally allowed to visit him and stay in Canada? Can we both drive back and forth across the border visiting each other as often as we want? If anyone can help me figure this all out I would really appreciate it! We are both really worried that we will be separated and we want to try and avoid that if possible. Thanks so much for your help!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
There's information that explains all of this on the US2Canada website. Click on the "Visiting" link.