+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WHAT CAN I DO IF THE COMPANY WENT BANKRUPT? please help me

chuck/tito

Aug 23, 2009
I'm at the point that I don't know what to do,I sent my application to the provincial nominee program(PNP) since October 2nd and they just put number to my file on December 9th,my work permit expired on the November 6th-2009,I sent the application to Vegreville AB for work permit on the November 2nd but it was incomplete because I didn't have the PNP approval letter then(I still don't have it yet).
the company that I work for went out of business today (dec/14/2009)with out any notice to any employee ,I think that's going to affect all my immigration status and the PNP application as well.
there are 2 companies that want to hire me but they don't know what to do in order to get me to work for them;
**can they help me to keep on going with the PNP application that's already in process?
**do I need to apply for are reinstatement since I'm still within the 90 days after my work permit expired?
** can they apply for a new MLO?
**do I have to leave Canada right away and do every thing for my home country?

Please help me

I'll post some more about my case later on
thanks for reading

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to contact the PNP. Usually, they will not allow a new employer to take over your application, that is, you have to apply from scratch with a new employer. It might depend on the province. I have heard that AB or BC would cancel your PNP if you are no longer with the employer who sponsored you. Others, I don't know.

You have the right to stay in Canada as long as your work permit is still valid to look for a new job but you are not allowed to work for another company until you have a new work permit.

You may apply for EI.

To get a new work permit, you need a new LMO. You should be able to do that from within Canada.

chuck/tito

Aug 23, 2009
thanks for the advise leon
my work permit is already expired and I don't know if I qualify for EI, that was really breakdown yesterday showing up to my normal day of work and there was not even access to the office any more,the company owner changed the door locks over the weekend and we all don't even know where he can be right now.
so now I'm focus on fixing my immigration status ASAP and move on,hope all this serve as a experience for some people out there and they will know what to do if they have to go through this(I hope not).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, I missed that part about your work permit being pending. You will probably not get it extended now that your employer is bankrupt but you might be able to change your status to visitor while you look for another job.