+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are the Part time work hours for International students in Canada ??

Oct 3, 2018
Chandigarh
Hello everyone, my sister recently moved to Canada (Toronto) on study visa. I am little bit confused about few things and I hope people here will definitely help me. My questions are as follows :-
1. She got job in Walmart store as a Dairy food associate but later on promoted to the post of Cashier.
2. Walmart offers her 3 shifts per week (8 hours per shift) i.e. 3*7 = 21 hours per week.
3. Is 21 hours per week work schedule a violation for International student ?
3. I am worried about her PGWP because Canadian immigration website clearly mentions 20 hours per week work schedule for International student.
4. But her college told her that as normally all employers offer minimum 8 hours shift, so it is fine to work or 21 hour per week.
5. In 15 days December break from college, she can work for full hours or needs to stick towards her part time schedule?
6. Is their any solution to above mentioned problem?
7. Does they promote International students upto some worthy profile i.e. Manager or other ?
8. If she continues to work with walmart on regular basis, does they help her with any PR process laterly ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone, my sister recently moved to Canada (Toronto) on study visa. I am little bit confused about few things and I hope people here will definitely help me. My questions are as follows :-
1. She got job in Walmart store as a Dairy food associate but later on promoted to the post of Cashier.
2. Walmart offers her 3 shifts per week (8 hours per shift) i.e. 3*7 = 21 hours per week.
3. Is 21 hours per week work schedule a violation for International student ?
3. I am worried about her PGWP because Canadian immigration website clearly mentions 20 hours per week work schedule for International student.
4. But her college told her that as normally all employers offer minimum 8 hours shift, so it is fine to work or 21 hour per week.
5. In 15 days December break from college, she can work for full hours or needs to stick towards her part time schedule?
6. Is their any solution to above mentioned problem?
7. Does they promote International students upto some worthy profile i.e. Manager or other ?
8. If she continues to work with walmart on regular basis, does they help her with any PR process laterly ?
Yes - working 21 hours a week is a violation of her study permit. She can work a maximum of 20 hours per week. She should make sure she follows the rules to avoid issues with her PGWP.

Reactions: khushwindersidhu

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1assume you mean a job as a checkout operator
2 3 x 8 hour shifts would be 24 hours a week so why do you show 3x7
3 as above could be a problem if more than 20 hours other than during a scheduled break

4 as above the college is giving bad advice only 20 hours is allowed no exception.
5 as long as is a scheduled break can work full time.
6 work only 20 hours per week is the only solution
7. Who knows other than Walmart but unlikely on a part time contract
8 very unlikely Walmart as a company would ever sponsor or assist anyone for PR.

Note a cashier/ checkout operator is classified as NOC D so unskilled so for PR she would probably need to move on some skilled or supervisory role assuming she gets a PGWP.

Last edited:
Reactions: khushwindersidhu
Oct 3, 2018
Chandigarh
1assume you mean a job as a checkout operator
2 3 x 8 hour shifts would be 24 hours a week so why do you show 3x7
3 as above could be a problem if more than 20 hours other than during a scheduled break

4 as above the college is giving bad advice only 20 hours is allowed no exception.
5 as long as is a scheduled break can work full time.
6 work only 20 hours per week is the only solution
7. Who knows other than Walmart but unlikely on a part time contract
8 very unlikely Walmart as a company would ever sponsor or assist anyone for PR.

Note a cashier/ checkout operator is classified as NOC D so unskilled so for PR she would probably need to move on some skilled or supervisory role assuming she gets a PGWP.
1. Actually their is one hour unpaid break during her 8 hour shift thats why i calculated it as 21 hours per week.
2. If everything goes fine with walmart job, I will continue with them during my PGWP also and I hope they will promote me to some NOC C or B level profile thats the reason behind my PR question.
BTW thank you for your reply and Suggestion !!