+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What after 10 months of PGWP? Desperately need your help. Quebec & BC!

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
Hello everyone, I am a little bit desperate about what to do and your help will be sincerely appreciated.

Right now I'm studying in BC ( business ) and my program is 10 month long. So I will have a 10 months of Post Grad Work Permit later. However, what about after the PGWP expires? I don't think I will be qualified for CEC and Federal Skilled Worker since I will be a recent graduate with less than 1 year of work experience. My question is: is it possible for employer to apply for LMIA before my PGWP expires so that I have a work permit to work for a few more months and become in Express Entry for CEC? Or you must have at least 1 year of work experience to apply for work permit ?

I looked up the BC PNP and I don't think I qualify for any. However is a job and work permit extension in Quebec more possible for me (I can speak French and have DELF score). I took their evaluation and it says I may be eligible but after reading I got really confused because it seems like for everything (LMIA work permit PEQ), you need to have at least 1 year of work experience to apply. Please prove me wrong.

Thank you so much for enlightening me! Any other options would also help a lot

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Georgesand said:
Hello everyone, I am a little bit desperate about what to do and your help will be sincerely appreciated.

Right now I'm studying in BC ( business ) and my program is 10 month long. So I will have a 10 months of Post Grad Work Permit later. However, what about after the PGWP expires? I don't think I will be qualified for CEC and Federal Skilled Worker since I will be a recent graduate with less than 1 year of work experience. My question is: is it possible for employer to apply for LMIA before my PGWP expires so that I have a work permit to work for a few more months and become in Express Entry for CEC? Or you must have at least 1 year of work experience to apply for work permit ?

I looked up the BC PNP and I don't think I qualify for any. However is a job and work permit extension in Quebec more possible for me (I can speak French and have DELF score). I took their evaluation and it says I may be eligible but after reading I got really confused because it seems like for everything (LMIA work permit PEQ), you need to have at least 1 year of work experience to apply. Please prove me wrong.

1. You would need your employer to obtain an LMIA if you wish to continue working, they may not wish to spend the advertising $ and the $1000 cost of the application for a new employee. They could apply for a LMIA to support a PR application, at no charge, but it wouldn't allow you to work in Canada.

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. You would need your employer to obtain an LMIA if you wish to continue working, they may not wish to spend the advertising $ and the $1000 cost of the application for a new employee. They could apply for a LMIA to support a PR application, at no charge, but it wouldn't allow you to work in Canada.
Hi PMM thank you so much for the answer. I really appreciate it. So there are 2 types of LMIA, one for PR and one for new employers ?

This means after my 8 months of PGWP expires, if my employer applies for the LMIA and got approved, I will be able to stay here even though I have less than 1 year of work experience?

Thank you so much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - the LMIA approval alone isn't enough for you to remain and work. You will also need to obtain a new work permit using the approved LMIA in order to remain in Canada. An approved LMIA can take many months to obtain (4-6). Your employer should start now. If you haven't submitted a new work permit application (based on an approved LMIA) by the time your PGWP expires - you will have to stop working.

optimistic candi

Jun 17, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 17/2016
AOR Received.
June 07/2016
File Transfer...
Aug 2/2016
Med's Done....
sent along
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
BGC in progress on 15 December
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 25 December
Georgesand said:

there is another option for you to extend your work permit. Take another course which will go hand in hand. Which will make your credits for a two year program and will be eligible for a 2-3 year pgwp.
but remember you must take the new course within 3 months of finishing the first course and before applying for pgwp for the current course.

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
optimistic candi said:
there is another option for you to extend your work permit. Take another course which will go hand in hand. Which will make your credits for a two year program and will be eligible for a 2-3 year pgwp.
but remember you must take the new course within 3 months of finishing the first course and before applying for pgwp for the current course.
Hey thank you so much I will consider doing that

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
scylla said:
No - the LMIA approval alone isn't enough for you to remain and work. You will also need to obtain a new work permit using the approved LMIA in order to remain in Canada. An approved LMIA can take many months to obtain (4-6). Your employer should start now. If you haven't submitted a new work permit application (based on an approved LMIA) by the time your PGWP expires - you will have to stop working.

Scylla thank you so much! You gave me hope. I already gave up but start feeling helpful again. In fact my program haven't started yet but before I graduate I will try me best to find an employer that will help me for my LMIA and apply for a work permit.

I gave up hopes because I thought I 100% wasn't eligible to apply for a work visa after my PGWP because I got confused between the temporary worker program with the Federal Skilled Worker program (they require 1 year of work experience at least which I won't have as I will only have 9 months of PGWP so I won't be eligible yet )

Again. I really appreciate your answer!