+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Weird call from IRCC or scam? Says my visa will be canceled

Noah Vossen

Star Member
Mar 27, 2023
Hi guys,
so I'm on a closed work permit and I quit my job a few days ago. I'm still in Canada looking for another job and if I don't find anything I'm planning to leave.
I received a phone call, a recording said "Hello, this is IRCC, your visa will be cancelled, press 1 for English". I didn't press anything and it said something in Chinese and than disconnected. I called back that number and it said "The number you dialed has not been assigned".
So again, can the former employer do something to cancel my visa?
Do you think it was a real call from IRCC or some kind of scam concidentally a few days after I quit my job? I've never had such calls before.
How can I check if everything is okay with my visa? I entered on eTA and was issued a WP at the port of entry.
Thank you

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
They will not cancel your wp or visa, not very likely anyway.They will send you mail or email if they need to contact you. You can shendthem a webform to update your contact methods.

And yes, your employer could try to contact IRCC to cancel your wp, most likely via webform as well. But since you are on closed wp, you cannot work for any other employer other than the one that is on your wp.

Noah Vossen

Star Member
Mar 27, 2023
They will not cancel your wp or visa, not very likely anyway.They will send you mail or email if they need to contact you. You can shendthem a webform to update your contact methods.

And yes, your employer could try to contact IRCC to cancel your wp, most likely via webform as well. But since you are on closed wp, you cannot work for any other employer other than the one that is on your wp.
How likely is it that they will cancel my WP if the former employer request that?

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
How likely is it that they will cancel my WP if the former employer request that?
If your former employer did contact IRCC, then it is very likely that IRCC will cancel your wp. Please note, your former employer does not need to request them to cancel anything, all he or she needs to do is contact IRCC and tell em that you don't work there anymore, and IRCC will try to contact you accordingly.

Noah Vossen

Star Member
Mar 27, 2023
If your former employer did contact IRCC, then it is very likely that IRCC will cancel your wp. Please note, your former employer does not need to request them to cancel anything, all he or she needs to do is contact IRCC and tell em that you don't work there anymore, and IRCC will try to contact you accordingly.
Omg and what is IRCC gonna do than? They will give me some time to wrap up my stuff or what?
I asked this question here, what's gonna happen, like 2 weeks ago and everybody were telling me nothing is gonna happen, some people were sarcastic, and now I'm finding out otherwise....
Can I change my status to visitor without going to the border or what should I do?

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Omg and what is IRCC gonna do than? They will give me some time to wrap up my stuff or what?
I asked this question here, what's gonna happen, like 2 weeks ago and everybody were telling me nothing is gonna happen, some people were sarcastic, and now I'm finding out otherwise....
Can I change my status to visitor without going to the border or what should I do?
What I told you is what could happen, doesn't mean it will happen. Unless your former employer is really pissed off by you leaving them, they probably wouldn't bother to contact IRCC.

If what you said did happen, it's not the end of the world for you. IRCC will contact you and tell you to stop working since you got a closed wp, and you shall not work in Canada unless you can find another employer that can support you with a new LMIA and you got a new wp blah blah ... They will usually give you a date before which you have to leave Canada. But you can apply for a visitor record before the deadline and stay in Canada legally, without working of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noah Vossen

Noah Vossen

Star Member
Mar 27, 2023
What I told you is what could happen, doesn't mean it will happen. Unless your former employer is really pissed off by you leaving them, they probably wouldn't bother to contact IRCC.

If what you said did happen, it's not the end of the world for you. IRCC will contact you and tell you to stop working since you got a closed wp, and you shall not work in Canada unless you can find another employer that can support you with a new LMIA and you got a new wp blah blah ... They will usually give you a date before which you have to leave Canada. But you can apply for a visitor record before the deadline and stay in Canada legally, without working of course.

Thank you.
Applying for a visitor record means changing my status to visitor?
And once I apply and it's in process than I'm good, right?
Like I said I quit that job and I don't work anywhere currently so they don't have to tell me to stop working :)

Noah Vossen

Star Member
Mar 27, 2023
Once your VR application is received by IRCC (meaning when you receive the submission confirmation for that VR application), you are good.
Thank you so much.
I tried to update my phone number on IRCC website, but that's only if you have an immigration application in process and I don't.
Does anyone know how to update contact info?