+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wanting to Return to Canada quite Soon!! HELP NEEDED

JamesTennant

Jun 13, 2010
Hi all.

I recently spent nine months in Canada (Yes I applied for the extension and I do have documentation to prove it was accepted)

I thoroughly enjoyed my time out there and I would love it if I could go back as soon as I have some money to do so. I want to go for around august...that would mean I have been in Canada for 9 months, come back to the UK for 3 months and then head out again and would probably like to stay for another 9 months again. I figure as I didnt break any laws, that it would be ok to do that.

Also, I have a freelance writing job. I sit at my laptop and write articles for various clients. Do I need a work permit for this or not? What do I say to the Border Officer about this job? If anything at all. I am not taking jobs away from Canadian citizens, nor am I working for a Canadian company, I am registered as self employed in the UK.

If someone could just give me a few pointers about wha tht best course of action is, that would be fantastic!

Thank you!

Jul 4, 2010
Hi, interesting to hear how you get on with that. I got the impression that they really did mean 6 months of each year (or in your case, 9)

as regards to the work you do, I am pretty sure that you do not nead a work permit for that as you are not being employed by Canadians and is not Canadian based and for that matter, not being paid in Canadian dollars.

I may be wrong, but that is what I think, I saw another post talking about musicians performing in Canada, it said that they do not nead work permits ether unless they are performing in a bar or resturant where they would be deemed to be employed!

would there be any nead to mention your online british based job to them anyway? loads of visitors take there laptops with them whereever they go anyway....
Benoir

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is up to the immigration officers if they let you in or not. If they figure you are living in Canada more than you are not without the proper visa, they can refuse to let you in. Same as if they suspect you are planning on overstaying, they can also refuse. I don't think it's that common to refuse people entry who are visa exempt unless they believe you are planning on working illegally. You will probably get in without a problem.