+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to immigrate with my fiance (who is canadian) to Canada?

ljane79

Star Member
Oct 1, 2009
Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2010
AOR Received.
09-06-2010
Med's Request
Sent with entire application Miss.
Med's Done....
09-10-2009
Interview........
Waived July 23, 2010
Passport Req..
October 8, 2010 Mailed it October 8, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 15, 2010 Received in mail Oct 19, 2010
LANDED..........
Driving to the border on Friday!!!
My fiance has dual citizenship (US and Canadian). I am a US citizen. I have a masters degree in clinical psychology and a certificate in behavioral analysis. I worked with children with autism for 3 years. About 4 months ago my fiance and I packed up all of our stuff and decided to go traveling for 6 months or more depending on our funds. He is in the process of applying to graduate schools in Canada and we plan on settling in Canada permanently. When he goes to graduate school I will be the primary source of support for him. He will most likely start school in Sep 2010 and we will be married in August 2010. Since we are not currently married, can he sponsor me? I'm just not sure as to how to proceed. Should I apply for a work visa instead and then my PR. Should we get legally married now to start the sponsorship process? If I apply for my PR in the country will I be able to leave to go on our honeymoon? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have lived together for 12 months or more, you can qualify as a common law couple. If not, then you should get married before you apply. If you apply right now, you'd have to show proof that you are planning on settling in Canada when you get your PR. You could have your PR in 5-9 months if you apply outland through the US. You can't officially move to Canada before you get it but you can visit.