+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for in-person Oath of Citizenship

CruiseControl

Apr 28, 2016
Hello,

Suppose that I got invited to attend the online Oath of Citizenship but for some reason I decided that I would like to wait for the in-person ceremony instead. Does anyone know if that is possible? Do you think that I would be called as soon as the in-person ceremonies are a thing again, or that I would somehow be place at the end of the line and have to wait 1+ years?

I understand it's a difficult question to ask, but I'm obviously not looking for accurate answers here, just a general feeling from more experienced people and maybe even someone who's been through this already. Thanks.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Have you already taken the test, and did you take it online, or did you take yours pre-pandemic?

The online test instructions also state you have the option to wait for in-person tests. I guess it's assumed that if you take the online tests, you'd be comfortable with taking the interview and oath online as well.

It's an unusual request to wait for the in-person oath. But given they have the option to wait for in-person testing, I'm fairly certain it will be accommodated, if ever the time comes they resume with the in-person services.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello,

Suppose that I got invited to attend the online Oath of Citizenship but for some reason I decided that I would like to wait for the in-person ceremony instead. Does anyone know if that is possible? Do you think that I would be called as soon as the in-person ceremonies are a thing again, or that I would somehow be place at the end of the line and have to wait 1+ years?

I understand it's a difficult question to ask, but I'm obviously not looking for accurate answers here, just a general feeling from more experienced people and maybe even someone who's been through this already. Thanks.
This is certainly an unusual request. Personally, I have never seen anyone even ask about such a request. One thing to note here is the following :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html#oath

Video oath ceremony (virtual citizenship ceremony)
Due to COVID-19, we

• cancelled all in-person citizenship ceremonies
  • started inviting applicants to take the Oath of Citizenship through video calls since April 1, 2020
We’ll

• contact you soon with the time and date of your video oath ceremony
  • contact applicants with cancelled in-person ceremonies first
  • schedule the ceremonies based on the order we make decisions on the applications
    • This depends on the complexity of the application.
Please wait for us to invite you.

Contact us through the Web form if you
  • had a ceremony scheduled on or before March 15, 2020, and
  • haven’t received an invitation for a video oath ceremony.
They have NOT explicitly mentioned that you have the option of waiting for the in-person ceremony. However, for the citizenship test, they have explicitly provided this option :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html#tests-interviews

Online citizenship test
We’re now inviting some applicants to take the citizenship test online. Wait for us to invite you.

If you can’t or don’t want to do the test online, you may wait until in-person tests resume (date to be determined).
You can go ahead and try requesting IRCC to NOT send you an oath until in-person ceremonies are back up but it is up to IRCC to either accept or deny that request. If they deny the request, you'll have to attend the video oath on the date provided. If you don't and you don't have a good enough reason (like a medical emergency or death of close family members etc), your application will be considered abandoned AFAIK.

I would strongly suggest against this idea (just my opinion). The post test backlog for oath is on the rise. At this time, swaths of people are waiting very eagerly for their oath ceremonies. Given the backlog, availing this option (if at all it is available) doesn't seem like a good idea unless you have extremely compelling reasons as to why you don't want to attend an oath ceremony. Please note that there is no guarantee whatsoever as to when you will receive an in-person ceremony invitation (we don't even know when they'll resume in-person ceremonies). Even if they resume in-person ceremonies next month, there is no guarantee you'll get a spot as soon as it is open. My suggestion is to grab the opportunity and take the virtual oath when IRCC sets the date for you. Skipping it without an extremely compelling reason isn't a wise idea IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: QueenPeaches

Fromage

Jun 24, 2021
I am soooo glad to find your posting as I am exactly in the same situation. I passed the online test (19/20) in March 2021 and received an invitation for an online ceremony for May. Because I was in a place where I did not access to the wifi or Internet on the specified date, I asked the postponement to the Immigration Office. Thereafter, I received the second invitation for the beginning of July. However, I wonder I should wait until an in-person ceremony resumes (the COVID situation getting better now). Obtaining Canadian citizenship is one of my biggest decisions in my life, because my country of origin does not allow me to keep dual citizenship so I will automatically give up my original citizenship upon termination of the ceremony. I would definitely like to share this important moment with my family and other candidates in person. I am an applicant in November 2019. I really want to know the outcome of such request.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I am soooo glad to find your posting as I am exactly in the same situation. I passed the online test (19/20) in March 2021 and received an invitation for an online ceremony for May. Because I was in a place where I did not access to the wifi or Internet on the specified date, I asked the postponement to the Immigration Office. Thereafter, I received the second invitation for the beginning of July. However, I wonder I should wait until an in-person ceremony resumes (the COVID situation getting better now). Obtaining Canadian citizenship is one of my biggest decisions in my life, because my country of origin does not allow me to keep dual citizenship so I will automatically give up my original citizenship upon termination of the ceremony. I would definitely like to share this important moment with my family and other candidates in person. I am an applicant in November 2019. I really want to know the outcome of such request.
We dont know when cic officers are comfortable conducting in-person oath hence no one knows how long the wait it would be. it could be this year, next year or later. Cant predict cic as usual ;).
Its better to get it done soon.

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There’s an election coming up. So take your citizenship ASAP so you could vote !

Fromage

Jun 24, 2021
Thank you harirajmohan and carl321 for your replies. Finally I attended a video oath ceremony last week. Therefore I am now Canadian citizen.

Before making my decision, I had a chance to talk with an employee of IRCC. The person said that he could give me a definite answer when an in-person ceremony would resume. However, all the employees will not return to office at least before the end of this year. I assumed that an in-person ceremony would not be likely to be held before December 31, 2021. i did not feel like waiting for 6 more months. So I listened to your recommendation. :0)

Although I preferred an in-person ceremony, I enjoyed my participation. I had full of emotions especially during oath. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: harirajmohan

LIZA1

May 5, 2021
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
When I log in to CIC it says that I have received the INTERVIEW INVITATION... and i apparently already got 2 of them.

It says:
Follow the instructions that will be sent to you for information on:

• how to attend the interview
  • what documents you have to present
BUT I NEVER GOT ANYTHING IN THE EMAIL/MAIL / JUNK MAIL./ Nowhere... HOW DO I ATTEND the Interview? It says its scheduled for July 19th, 2021