+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Volunteering on a visitors visa?

Edenshelby

Dec 12, 2014
Hey, I'm currently in Canada on a visitors visa, me and my partner are getting together all the information and the funds we need to apply for common law sponsorship. I have already been in Canada for almost 6 months, and I know it is still going to be quite a long time before my PR will be accepted. I already know that I am not allowed to work in Canada on a visitors visa, but what is the de with volunteering?

I have read a lot about it, and the general message I get is that you are not allowed to do it because the government see it as taking work from Canadians and people coming over on a work visa, but if it was to volunteer for a charity like the BCSPCA then would it be a problem, as volunteering for them isn't taking a paid position?

Any help would be great, as I really would like to volunteer and do something useful with my time that I am waiting for the PR to process! ;D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It depends.

It is OK to volunteer if the work you are going to be doing is something someone would not be normally paid to do.

If the volunteer work is something someone would normally be paid to do, then it will be classified as illegal work even though you aren't being paid.

Edenshelby

Dec 12, 2014
Ok awesome, I guess it would probably be best to speak to the charity about the positions they have and what's paid and what's not!

Thanks for the help :)

kcorbin

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2014
Med's Done....
09-06-2014
Hi, I'm currently on a visitor visa as well. Usually, most organizations have volunteer positions available. I volunteer for the city and also a boys and girls club here and I had no issues applying. =) hope this helps!