+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa to stydy permit

Kalli

Oct 17, 2014
Hello,

I live in Turkey and I wanted to come to Canada to a Language school in January. Still haven't decided if I want to study for just 3 months or longer.
Is there any chance that I can come on a visitor visa and while in Canada change it to a study permit?
If not, do you think that I can get a study permit (if I apply now) before my course starts in January?
Any advice is more than welcome :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Study permits are for courses that are longer than six months. If your program is six months or shorter - then you don't need a study permit and can study on a visitor visa.

You can apply for a study permit while in Canada. However you will have to apply through the visa office in your home country and you will have to send your passport to your home country for visa stamping.

Kalli

Oct 17, 2014
scylla said:
Study permits are for courses that are longer than six months. If your program is six months or shorter - then you don't need a study permit and can study on a visitor visa.

You can apply for a study permit while in Canada. However you will have to apply through the visa office in your home country and you will have to send your passport to your home country for visa stamping.
Thank you scylla :)
That's what I was thinking - if I come to Canada and then decide how long I'm gonna do the course, could I get my study permit afterwards.
Can I be in Canada without my passport if I send it to Turkey?
Lets say I apply in a month from my arrival and my tourist visa expires in 6 months, do you think it will be enough time to receive the permit?
I know that in the processing time they say 11 weeks ...