+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa instead of PR Card?

maya0203

Jan 20, 2017
Hello,

I became a PR of Canada in July 2017. I had to leave the country before receiving my PR card. I have a valid visitor visa for Canada. Can I use this to travel to Canada instead of applying for a PRTD? I plan to stay only for a month before I return so I shouldn't be in violation of my visitor visa terms.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone done this before?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your TRV was most likely cancelled when your received your PR Visa (there have been occasional reports of it not happening). It is unlikely they would let you board the plane with your old visa. As a PR, you aren't eligible for a TRV. You will need to apply for a PRTD.

maya0203

Jan 20, 2017
Your TRV was most likely cancelled when your received your PR Visa (there have been occasional reports of it not happening). It is unlikely they would let you board the plane with your old visa. As a PR, you aren't eligible for a TRV. You will need to apply for a PRTD.
Thank you!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello,

I became a PR of Canada in July 2017. I had to leave the country before receiving my PR card. I have a valid visitor visa for Canada. Can I use this to travel to Canada instead of applying for a PRTD? I plan to stay only for a month before I return so I shouldn't be in violation of my visitor visa terms.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone done this before?
We have seen both reports from people on this forum. Several have posted they have successfully flown on old visas obtained prior to becoming a PR. Others have reported visas were cancelled after becoming a PR.

The only way for you to know for sure, is to simply show up at the airport for your return flight home, and see if they will allow you boarding on your old visa. If you attempted this, just prepare for worst case scenario you'd denied boarding.

Other ways to get back to Canada:
1. Fly to US, and drive into Canada
2. Apply for a PR Travel Document in the country you're visiting. This will allow you to fly directly to Canada.