+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for Siblings

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hi,
I am asking this question on behalf of extended family members. My aunt has 3 children here in Canada. The eldest is a Canadian citizen and the youngest PR holder. My aunt visited Canada last year at her son's invitation. Her 4.5 years visitor visa has expired. Since then, she has been extending her stay.
Meanwhile, my aunt's husband's visitor application was refused about three years ago. My aunt still has 3 children with the age range of 21, 20, 17. My aunt wants them (the 3 children at home) to come to Canada. What would be the best pathway, visit or study? The first two had completed their college diploma already.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,
I am asking this question on behalf of extended family members. My aunt has 3 children here in Canada. The eldest is a Canadian citizen and the youngest PR holder. My aunt visited Canada last year at her son's invitation. Her 4.5 years visitor visa has expired. Since then, she has been extending her stay.
Meanwhile, my aunt's husband's visitor application was refused about three years ago. My aunt still has 3 children with the age range of 21, 20, 17. My aunt wants them (the 3 children at home) to come to Canada. What would be the best pathway, visit or study? The first two had completed their college diploma already.
So your aunt, a visitor, wants them to come to Canada. Are they coming to visit or to study? If study, they need to look at admissions, apply, get accepted and then apply for a permit (show funds, ties, travel history, employment opportunities etc.). If they are coming for a visit for a month or so, apply for visitor visas.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
So your aunt, a visitor, wants them to come to Canada. Are they coming to visit or to study? If study, they need to look at admissions, apply, get accepted and then apply for a permit (show funds, ties, travel history, employment opportunities etc.). If they are coming for a visit for a month or so, apply for visitor visas.
Yes, she's not sure whether visiting or study permit will be appropriate for the younger children oversea based on the fact that she's also on visit visa, although, she's children here that're Citizen and another a PR. Another concerns is that her husband was refused visit visa some years ago.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, she's not sure whether visiting or study permit will be appropriate for the younger children oversea based on the fact that she's also on visit visa, although, she's children here that're Citizen and another a PR. Another concerns is that her husband was refused visit visa some years ago.
What do they want to do? Visit for a short time or eventually live in Canada?

If they just want to visit for a short time, then the TRV is the right thing to apply for. As visitors, they obviously won't be able to work or study in Canada.

If the objectives is for them to remain in Canada long term, then a study permit makes more sense. It will probably be difficult for all three to get study permits, but they can try. In order for this to be possible, she and her husband will want to show they have at least $100K in savings (more would be better).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also, my strong recommendation is that the aunt return home before her other three children apply to come to Canada. This will strengthen their applications. They already have a lot to overcome given they have three siblings already in Canada. So it would be best if she returned home rather than prolonging her stay in Canada (this will work against them in getting approvals).

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Also, my strong recommendation is that the aunt return home before her other three children apply to come to Canada. This will strengthen their applications. They already have a lot to overcome given they have three siblings already in Canada. So it would be best if she returned home rather than prolonging her stay in Canada (this will work against them in getting approvals).
Thanks, that's my thought as well but she's afraid if she return home the renewal of her expired visa may be hard since her husband was refused. She's also extend her visitor visa two times. What do you think?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, that's my thought as well but she's afraid if she return home the renewal of her expired visa may be hard since her husband was refused. She's also extend her visitor visa two times. What do you think?
IMO it would have strengthened her case to get a new TRV approved if she had stayed for six months and then returned home without applying for extensions.

It weakens her case and the case for her other children that she has applied for two extensions. Makes it look like she's trying to remain long term. Applying for her other children now will likely look like she's trying to do the same for them now as well.

If the priority is for her to be able to visit Canada for as long as possible then she should do that. If the priority is for her other children to be able to come to Canada, then I would recommend she leave Canada.

Ultimately her choice.

samirtaneja

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
I am a canadian citizen and living here for more than 5 years. My parents already have visitor visa and i would like to apply visitor visa for my sister and her 10 yrs old daughter. My sister got divorced last year and she is working as team lead in an MNC in INDIA.

My sister daughter (My niece) visitor visa got rejected in Jan 2020 when i have tried applied along with my parents. My parents visa got accepted but niece visa got rejected mentioning the reason that officer is not convinced that she will go back. Infact i have applied for my niece only and presenting her school certificate and my sister job and income documents and ties with home country that she will go to her parents as she is coming with her grand parents.

I again want to apply for my niece along with my sister this time so please guide me what things i should keep in mind . any specific documents to be attached. I want to celebrate my kids birthday in june at some banquet hall and want my sister and niece to come

Please guide
What are the chances

samirtaneja

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Hello,

I applied for my sister and her daughter come to visit me in Canada and they refused them saying :

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as required by paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-179.html). I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors:

Reason1 •Your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family member(s), if applicable).

We have showed bank statements of CAD 23000 approx and total assets of CAD 72000 and i think it sufficient for a stay of 14 days.

Reason 2• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.

1. I have also included my sister employer letter approving 14 days of leave or day offs and my sister's daughter school letter mentioning that there will be summer vacation during their stay.

2. I have also included banquet letter and invitation letter for celebrating my twins daughter birthday in june and i am inviting my sister and niece to attend and moreover we havent met from last 3.5 yrs so i want them to visit me

3. I have also mentioned that she is working as team lead and cant take more than 14 days absence as have many important meetings aligned after this visit and she is the only one taking care of my old parents,

I sent a formal invitation letter mentioning everything and banquet letter for birthday party of my daughters. I have also attached my ID's like canadian passport, canadian citizenship letter , other ID's and my bank statement having more than 100K.

I dont know what else i should mention

Can anyone help me understand this case? I would really appreciate any Comment