+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for my son and financial support

capped.ra

Dec 14, 2017
I am in Canada with my PR. I am applying for visitor visa for my son(1 Year old) because I have sponsored him for PR and I believe it will take good amount of time(PR process). I am away from my family for more than 8 months. My wife already has a valid visitor visa. And she is working in India. My intention is they can visit me here in Canada for short period of time.

I am confused about following docs Proof of Financial Resource of Supporter and Proof of Means of Financial Support .

1. Should I mention my wife's salary(in India currency) and bank statements(in India currency) as above two items?
As this makes my son dependent on my wife, and as she has to go back to India because of her job. And thus making my case stronger.

2. Or is it mandatory to show funds in CAD. Me and my wife both are working and both of us can support the travel?
Also, while filling visa application form, there was a column saying "Funds available for my stay(CAD)". This suggests me to show my son as dependent to me and provide my financial proofs.

As my son's visa is rejected already once, so I want to be very careful while applying again.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am in Canada with my PR. I am applying for visitor visa for my son. My wife already has a valid visitor visa. And she is working in India.

I am confused about following docs Proof of Financial Resource of Supporter and Proof of Means of Financial Support .

1. Should I mention my wife's salary(in India currency) and bank statements(in India currency) as above two items?
As this makes my son dependent on my wife, and as she has to go back to India because of her job. And thus making my case stronger.

2. Or is it mandatory to show funds in CAD. Me and my wife both are working and both of us can support the travel?
Also, while filling visa application form, there was a column saying "Funds available for my stay(CAD)". This suggests me to show my son as dependent to me and provide my financial proofs.

As my son's visa is rejected already once, so I want to be very careful while applying again.
How old is son? Why was visa rejected? And why didn't you sponsor son when you got PR?

Shahid12

Nov 9, 2019
I am in Canada with my PR. I am applying for visitor visa for my son. My wife already has a valid visitor visa. And she is working in India.

If you are son is under 18, and he is dependent on you or your wife attached your documents,
I would say apply for his study permit if he is under 18.

Reactions: capped.ra

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you are son is under 18, and he is dependent on you or your wife attached your documents,
OP said he is PR so it is important to know if he was sponsored (if under 22). If waiting for COPR then, a TRV may continue to be declined.

Reactions: Shahid12

capped.ra

Dec 14, 2017
How old is son? Why was visa rejected? And why didn't you sponsor son when you got PR?
Son is 1 year old
I have already sponsored him, and the application is in very initial stage.
Visa got rejected last time with following reasons:

"-I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as required by paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-179.html). I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors:

- You have significant family ties in Canada.

- The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.

-Your assets and financial situation are insufficient to support the stated purpose of travel for yourself (and any accompanying family member(s), if applicable)."

capped.ra

Dec 14, 2017
Yeah, the question. Should I attach or my wife's documents? I feel attaching my wife's documents make more sense, but again my wife's is earning in INR(not CAD).
Also, while filling the application we have to answer "Funds available for my stay(CAD)". If I show my son is dependent on my wife, how can i mention the finds in CAD, as she is earning in INR.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yeah, the question. Should I attach or my wife's documents? I feel attaching my wife's documents make more sense, but again my wife's is earning in INR(not CAD).
Also, while filling the application we have to answer "Funds available for my stay(CAD)". If I show my son is dependent on my wife, how can i mention the finds in CAD, as she is earning in INR.
Just because she is earning in INR doesn’t mean you can’t state how much that is in Canadian.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm curious how did you put funds in CAD for your PR application? Were you not in India before your PR application and earning in INR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you should include both you and your wife’s financial documents. You should include proof of leave from your wife’s work. You should also include any ties that your wife has to be her home country and to show that she is only wanting to visit Canada. The big issue is that if you are sponsoring both your wife and child they do intend to relocate to Canada permanently and most spouses never actually visit they remain in Canada so unless you have very strong proof that this is just a visit there is a good chance that you’ll be denied. Have you actually started your wife’s sponsorship? It’s unclear based on your posts. If you haven’t there will be strong concern that once in Canada you will start inland sponsorship of your spouse. All you can do is reapply and try.