+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for my Dad

puneetg1983

Jul 3, 2024
Hello Everyone,
I just got an employment offer in Vancouver Canada and my employer is applying for a work visa and the application is under process. Meanwhile, I wanted to apply for a temporary visitor visa for my father (aged 85 years and my mother is no more) so he can come with us and explore a new country and stay for 4-5 months. My father's real brother is also in Vancouver, Canada and is retired. Considering this:-
1. Should I apply for his visitor visa right away saying he is going to visit his brother and should I mention that I am also accompanying him, Or?
2. Move to Vancouver first, spend a few months there and then apply for his visitor visa.

Which option do you guys suggest is a safer option?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
His choice. He is the one applying and having to show his own funds, travel history, ties to return and valid reasons to travel. A 4-5 month visit is too long and shows that he has no ties to return.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,
I just got an employment offer in Vancouver Canada and my employer is applying for a work visa and the application is under process. Meanwhile, I wanted to apply for a temporary visitor visa for my father (aged 85 years and my mother is no more) so he can come with us and explore a new country and stay for 4-5 months. My father's real brother is also in Vancouver, Canada and is retired. Considering this:-
1. Should I apply for his visitor visa right away saying he is going to visit his brother and should I mention that I am also accompanying him, Or?
2. Move to Vancouver first, spend a few months there and then apply for his visitor visa.

Which option do you guys suggest is a safer option?
Realistically it may be very hard for him to spend an extended amount of time visiting Canada or get approved for an TRV especially if you are only on a WP. There may be concerns that he may be trying to move with you to Canada. You should only take a job in Canada if you are prepared for your father to have to remain in his home country longterm because that is a realistic scenario. He may not be able to qualify for travel medical insurance at 85 you also need to be prepared for potentially very large hospital bills if he does come to visit Canada. If you do find a policy look at the exclusion categories very carefully since if he does make a claim expect the insurance company to look at his medical history very carefully.