+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa extension

Abi27

Nov 1, 2014
The situation is...My 6 month period is expiring soon but I still have a valid multiple entry visa to come back to canada.
If I go to USA before the 5 the month period, stay for a day and come back, will my period of stay be extended for more 6 months.
Kindly clarify.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
The purpose of a Visitor Visa is to be a "Visitor".... and not to stay, in Canada, on a long-term basis.

There are other visa category options available should you wish to remain in Canada for long duration.

M

mikeymyke

Abi27 said:
The situation is...My 6 month period is expiring soon but I still have a valid multiple entry visa to come back to canada.
If I go to USA before the 5 the month period, stay for a day and come back, will my period of stay be extended for more 6 months.
Kindly clarify.
What you're suggesting is called a "visa run", it's generally frowned upon by border officials. If you do that, they might refuse you entry because they might think you're planning on staying long term, as a visitor visa is only for visiting, not living long term. But more likely than not, they'll probably give you a visitor record for a couple weeks or so instead of 6 months.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
Abi27 said:
Kindly clarify.
Yes you can do this, going to US and coming back to canada BUT there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to enter in canada (in such a case you might face a real problem). each time someone enters canada(on visit visa) immigration officers grant entry to genuine visitors. your intentions can trigger a red flag for them as you already had spend 5 months in canada and trying to re-enter canada for another 6 months (clearly shows you have some other intentions besides just visiting). In case if you are not allowed to enter in canada and US also deny you entry you will be deported to your home country(following a permanent deportation record in your travel history).

Some face no problems as they have genuine reason to visit US and again genuine reason to re-enter canada.(e.g a mother visiting her son in canada spending 2,3 months in canada and going to US to visit her daughter in US or other relative, re-entry in such a case will have no problems. as it all seems genuine).

If you want to stay for more than 6 Months in canada, there is legal way todo it. i.e apply for a visa extension. it will cost you 100 dollars and you can apply online(must be before your current status expires). chances of getting extension are higher with minimum problems (your immigration record will remain clean). for a visa extension you will still need a reason to extend your stay plus proof of funds etc. (people who have spouse or family here in canada are usually granted extension). during your visa extension application you will remain with a legal status till the outcome of your application.

Hope it helps.

Abi27

Nov 1, 2014
It was for my parents who is coming to visit me and I wanted to make then stay with me atleast for a year.
I stay close by US border so asked for your suggestion.
Anyway Thank you for the explanation. It really helped.