+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa extension after applying for OWP and spouse sponsorship

minhduc

Oct 30, 2017
My wife is staying in Canada under visitor status from 04/2022. She was given 6 months stay in Canada. Her visitor visa is granted for the period from 02/2022 to 02/2023.

She has applied for OWP and also spouse sponsorship in Canada, and looking to get OWP in 09/2022.

Does she need to apply for visitor visa extension before her visitor status and visitor visa are expired?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My wife is staying in Canada under visitor status from 04/2022. She was given 6 months stay in Canada. Her visitor visa is granted for the period from 02/2022 to 02/2023.

She has applied for OWP and also spouse sponsorship in Canada, and looking to get OWP in 09/2022.

Does she need to apply for visitor visa extension before her visitor status and visitor visa are expired?
Has she received the AOR of her OWP application? If so, she's in implied status until her OWP is approved.

minhduc

Oct 30, 2017
Has she received the AOR of her OWP application? If so, she's in implied status until her OWP is approved.
Not yet, I just submitted her sponsor + OWP application this week. I think the AOR will be another month.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Not yet, I just submitted her sponsor + OWP application this week. I think the AOR will be another month.
Then when her 6 months stay is almost up, if you don't get AOR for the OWP, it's better to extend her visitor status.
Because if that application is returned (incomplete application sometimes get returned), then she could be out of status.
So it's better to extend her visitor status if you don't get AOR when it's close to her 6 months' stay. (I think most ppl do get it in around 3 months)

minhduc

Oct 30, 2017
Then when her 6 months stay is almost up, if you don't get AOR for the OWP, it's better to extend her visitor status.
Because if that application is returned (incomplete application sometimes get returned), then she could be out of status.
So it's better to extend her visitor status if you don't get AOR when it's close to her 6 months' stay. (I think most ppl do get it in around 3 months)
Thank you for your response. Do my wife need to extend her tourist visa even if she has AOR for OWP?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for your response. Do my wife need to extend her tourist visa even if she has AOR for OWP?
She would be in implied status (visitor) with her OWP application. So at that point she doesn't need to extend her stay (visitor status) any more.