+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa and full vaccination requirement

CraigCV

May 13, 2022
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen. I am assisting an overseas family member with an application for a temporary visitor visa (reason: "Reuniting with an extended family member").

This family member is vaccinated against COVID, but the vaccine is not one of the ones recognized by CIC, per this page.

Am I reading this page correctly that the family member cannot come to Canada, period? The way I am reading it, there is no option to quarantine or do anything else, it just says "You must qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption or meet another exemption to travel to Canada."

Further, is this something that is checked upon applying or when travelling? We are actually trying to get a visa now, but the person would not be travelling until 2023 - will the application get denied flat out because of lack of a recognized vaccination?

sdb174

Aug 9, 2022
From Malaysia, Now in Ontario (applied Inland)
Category........
FAM
I could be wrong but the application for visitor visa and vaccination check are two different things. Vaccination requirements will be checked by immigration at the airport, not by the authorities processing the visa. (I did not need to upload any vaccination certificate along with my visa application.) So, you could be given the visa but refused at the airport.

Reactions: coo2145

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen. I am assisting an overseas family member with an application for a temporary visitor visa (reason: "Reuniting with an extended family member").

This family member is vaccinated against COVID, but the vaccine is not one of the ones recognized by CIC, per this page.

Am I reading this page correctly that the family member cannot come to Canada, period? The way I am reading it, there is no option to quarantine or do anything else, it just says "You must qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption or meet another exemption to travel to Canada."

Further, is this something that is checked upon applying or when travelling? We are actually trying to get a visa now, but the person would not be travelling until 2023 - will the application get denied flat out because of lack of a recognized vaccination?
What is the relationship? That factors into the vaccination requirement.