+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa after expiring work permit

cec immigration

Star Member
May 13, 2015
My workpermit is expiring on May 24 and there are no chances of getting thorugh express entry. I have following questions regarding visitor visa:
1. In case I apply for visitor visa now and it is approved before May 21 can I still continue to work as worker till May 21 or my worker status will continue till May 21. I want to continue working till May 21 to complete one year of CEC.

2. Secondly what are the chances of approval. Do they ususally approve it or reject it.

3. Also are we legally allowe to stay 90 days after the expiration of workpermit.

concorde

Star Member
Jun 16, 2014
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-08-2016
LANDED..........
11-08-2016
cec immigration said:
My workpermit is expiring on May 24 and there are no chances of getting thorugh express entry. I have following questions regarding visitor visa:
1. In case I apply for visitor visa now and it is approved before May 21 can I still continue to work as worker till May 21 or my worker status will continue till May 21. I want to continue working till May 21 to complete one year of CEC. Your visitor visa is a mere stamp on the passport. Irrespective of the date you receive your TRV, you can very well continue to work till your original WP is valid for

2. Secondly what are the chances of approval. Do they usually approve it or reject it. Provided the case has been prepared diligently with POF and LOE, I reckon you shouldn't have much problem in getting yours approved

3. Also are we legally allowe to stay 90 days after the expiration of workpermit. Technically, you do have a window of 90 days to stay in Canada after your status expires, post which, you would be required to apply for restoration of status. Bear in mind there is no guarantee of the application to be approved, not to mention you would be required to pay additional fee for restoration. I would suggest to apply for TRV right away and stop working once your WP expires and brace for ITA.
Hope this helps

seanmheff

Jan 18, 2016
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cec immigration said:
1. In case I apply for visitor visa now and it is approved before May 21 can I still continue to work as worker till May 21 or my worker status will continue till May 21. I want to continue working till May 21 to complete one year of CEC.

2. Secondly what are the chances of approval. Do they ususally approve it or reject it.

3. Also are we legally allowe to stay 90 days after the expiration of workpermit.
I'm in quite a similar boat to you. Visa is expiring on the 19th of June. Will need to stop working then and I want to wait in Canada for my PR to come through.

I was planning on to go to the border just before my permit expires and hope to get re-admitted as a visitor.

Do you know if there is any advantage to applying for a change of status instead of visiting the border?

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
cec immigration said:

You can work till the last day of your work permit expires.

varinder1717

Apr 18, 2015
I heard we can stay on implied status for 90 days from the date of expiry of our work permit.. and that time also we can apply for visitor visa..

cec immigration said:

GoHaPPyCaN

May 16, 2016
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19th
Doc's Request.
May 2nd
Nomination.....
Cancelled
AOR Received.
April 20th
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
May 10th
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
September 28th
VISA ISSUED...
October 6th
LANDED..........
Already in CaNaDa !
varinder1717 said:
I heard we can stay on implied status for 90 days from the date of expiry of our work permit.. and that time also we can apply for visitor visa..
Implied status is when you have sent an application to renew your work permit before the date of expiration of your actual permit and you are then waiting for a reply.
For example, your work permit expires on June 1st and CIC answers on July 5th, you are allowed to work during all this time.

Unfortunately, implied status has nothing to do with 90 days from the date of expiry of your work permit.

crazydesifool

Nov 14, 2014
Regina, Canada
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
2172/6211
App. Filed.......
26 Nov 15
Doc's Request.
21 Jan 16 - RCMP and 18 May 16 - Sch A
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
22 Dec 15
IELTS Request
included in the application - CELPIP
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
included in application
Med's Done....
8 Jan 16
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
7 Jun 16
VISA ISSUED...
16 Jun 16
LANDED..........
02 Jul 16
Based on Experience, here are the following steps you should do:

1. (considering, this is your work permit expiring) Apply for work permit (again) before May 24, there is no point in submitting a paper based application as you have no time, better submit an online application.
2. Once you submit before may 24, you will be under implied status, YOU CAN WORK UNDER IMPLIED STATUS, this is usually around 90 days. CIC will send you a rejection when they process your application (you can view your processing time on their website)
2. The day you will be rejected for work permit, you will be under restoration period, YOU MUST STOP WORKING.. this period is for 90 days, before which you can apply for visitor cum restoration, YOU MUST NOT PASS 90 DAYS as you will be staying illegally after that (without status)
3. Within this 90 days, you can apply for visitors, workers, student visa... chances are good for visitors provided you submit strong file with bank balance.
4. Let's assume you apply for visitors on 80th day of restoration, you will still be considered legal until your visitors visa application decision is made.. it can be another month, 90 days... or may be a week, it all depends on the time they take to process your application.

NOTE: if rejected here, you should leave canada..

hope this helps.

GoHaPPyCaN

May 16, 2016
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19th
Doc's Request.
May 2nd
Nomination.....
Cancelled
AOR Received.
April 20th
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
May 10th
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
September 28th
VISA ISSUED...
October 6th
LANDED..........
Already in CaNaDa !
Yes, but I wanted to make it clear to Varinder that implied status doesn't have to be 90 days, it all depends when CIC replies.
From my own experience, end of my work permit was on February 19th and on March 6th CIC replied with a refusal, so I worked under the implied status for only 3 weeks.

crazydesifool

Nov 14, 2014
Regina, Canada
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
2172/6211
App. Filed.......
26 Nov 15
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
22 Dec 15
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
included in application
Med's Done....
8 Jan 16
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
7 Jun 16
VISA ISSUED...
16 Jun 16
LANDED..........
02 Jul 16
GoHaPPyCaN said:
Yes, but I wanted to make it clear to Varinder that implied status doesn't have to be 90 days, it all depends when CIC replies.
From my own experience, end of my work permit was on February 19th and on March 6th CIC replied with a refusal, so I worked under the implied status for only 3 weeks.

that's bad. It took 5 months and 12 days for me

varinder1717

Apr 18, 2015
hey did your bowp expire after 5 months? did you do paper or online?? plzz let me know

I saw paper application is 100 days processing and online it is only 1 month. I am planning to do paper so that it buys me time as I have no AOR and if till that time my invitation comes then will send AOR to CIC and if not then it will be refused and will apply for study permit on restoration.
crazydesifool said:
that's bad. It took 5 months and 12 days for me

crazydesifool

Nov 14, 2014
Regina, Canada
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
NOC Code......
2172/6211
App. Filed.......
26 Nov 15
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
22 Dec 15
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
included in application
Med's Done....
8 Jan 16
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
7 Jun 16
VISA ISSUED...
16 Jun 16
LANDED..........
02 Jul 16
varinder1717 said:
hey did your bowp expire after 5 months? did you do paper or online?? plzz let me know

I saw paper application is 100 days processing and online it is only 1 month. I am planning to do paper so that it buys me time as I have no AOR and if till that time my invitation comes then will send AOR to CIC and if not then it will be refused and will apply for study permit on restoration.
I did online based, I got lucky as processing time was 100 days for me but it was extended. I didn't apply to BOWP as you need to be on your work permit with AOR to apply that, I was on implied status but it served its purpose.

Here is what you can do.

1. apply for extension of work permit on a paper based application, you can legally work till a decision is made.

2. Be on restoration period and then apply for study or visitors and be legal until a decision is made.

YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR BOWP IN IMPLIED STATUS. PERIOD.