+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor record wait times

poporopos

Sep 22, 2021
I'm trying to sponsor my wife in Canada, but we haven't been able to submit the application yet because we are missing the police certificates. They have been issued in her home country but require notarizing before they can be sent to us in Canada. It's taking so long my wife's six-months of visitor stay is running out.

Right now the Visitor Record processing times are over 200 days and, once we apply, she goes onto maintained status until a decision is made. If the request is to have another six-months added to her stay and the wait time for a decision is over 200 days, that means she would get a decision once her extension was going to run out anyway. I don't understand this because, if a decision on a visitor record arrives in 200 days, the 180 days we are requesting would have passed at that point. Is the extension added to the original departure date or to the decision date?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm trying to sponsor my wife in Canada, but we haven't been able to submit the application yet because we are missing the police certificates. They have been issued in her home country but require notarizing before they can be sent to us in Canada. It's taking so long my wife's six-months of visitor stay is running out.

Right now the Visitor Record processing times are over 200 days and, once we apply, she goes onto maintained status until a decision is made. If the request is to have another six-months added to her stay and the wait time for a decision is over 200 days, that means she would get a decision once her extension was going to run out anyway. I don't understand this because, if a decision on a visitor record arrives in 200 days, the 180 days we are requesting would have passed at that point. Is the extension added to the original departure date or to the decision date?
Generally speaking, IRCC will grant an additional six months from the time of the approval.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Your wife will have something called implied status where she has the legal status to remain in Canada until she gets the results of her extension. Once you apply for sponsorship I would send a webform indicating that you have applied for sponsorship. If going through the sponsorship process extension are usually granted. Even if preparing to sponsor at least one extension is usually given.