+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor record or spousal sponsorship?

JayCau

Apr 26, 2023
good day!

I am currently here in canada with my trv that will expire on this coming June 15, 2023. me and my wife got married last April 04, 2023. my question is should i extend my visit visa or i can apply for spousal sponsorship directly without losing my status here in canada?

any suggestion or recommendations will be highly appreciated.

thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
good day!

I am currently here in canada with my trv that will expire on this coming June 15, 2023. me and my wife got married last April 04, 2023. my question is should i extend my visit visa or i can apply for spousal sponsorship directly without losing my status here in canada?

any suggestion or recommendations will be highly appreciated.

thanks!
Submitting the sponsorship application does not give you implied status. You won't have implied status until you submit an Open Work Permit application. However you cannot do that until after you have submitted the sponsorship applications and have AOR which takes a few months. So you should do both. Submit the application to be sponsored AND also apply to extend your visitor status.

JayCau

Apr 26, 2023
Submitting the sponsorship application does not give you implied status. You won't have implied status until you submit an Open Work Permit application. However you cannot do that until after you have submitted the sponsorship applications and have AOR which takes a few months. So you should do both. Submit the application to be sponsored AND also apply to extend your visitor status.
yeah, i forgot to include that we will also apply SOPW with the spousal sponsorship.
another question. while answering the questionaire on which to continue between visit record and spousal sponsorship. I'm thinking to continue with the visit record and just attach a letter saying we are waiting for my PR/SOWP application. would that work?

thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yeah, i forgot to include that we will also apply SOPW with the spousal sponsorship.
another question. while answering the questionaire on which to continue between visit record and spousal sponsorship. I'm thinking to continue with the visit record and just attach a letter saying we are waiting for my PR/SOWP application. would that work?

thanks in advance!
You cannot include the OWP application with the spousal sponsorship application. You have to submit the spousal sponsorship application first and then wait for AOR before you can apply for the OWP.

I don't understand your question. Can you rephrase?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

thanks in advance!
Not sure what the letter is about. And you cannot apply for OWP with inland sponsorship until after AOR. (when an email with application number is received by the sponsor)

But you need to keep extending the visitor status/stay until you get AOR and applied for the OWP (then you will be on implied status since you will have applied for the OWP).
Or until you get the PR/landed/eCOPR.

JayCau

Apr 26, 2023
thank you so much for your replies and suggestions. i think i have to do send my application of visit visa then apply for spousal sponsorship.

have a great day everyone

Dave@

Aug 13, 2022
Hey there
Could someone helpme please with that
I brought my parents here with a 10 years visitor visa. At the Toronto airport, I filled a paper where I said they’d stay for 1 month, but the officer didn’t stamp their passport with any leaving date.
I read on IRCC site that if they don’t stamp your passport, means you can stay for max 6 months
Can I let my parents stay until they have 6 months here or should I apply for visitor record right now?
Thanks

sudubey

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Hey there
Could someone helpme please with that
I brought my parents here with a 10 years visitor visa. At the Toronto airport, I filled a paper where I said they’d stay for 1 month, but the officer didn’t stamp their passport with any leaving date.
I read on IRCC site that if they don’t stamp your passport, means you can stay for max 6 months
Can I let my parents stay until they have 6 months here or should I apply for visitor record right now?
Thanks
You need to apply for extension before 6 months, I would say do it in 4th month itself looking at strike and other back logs. Look at pending queue before you submit. Extending to another 6 months is always fairy tale. Best of luck

Dave@

Aug 13, 2022
Thank you so much
My concern is, it doesn’t matter if I put on the paper I filled at the airport that they’d stay here for 1 month?
Since they didn’t stamp the passport, they can stay longer than what I said ?