+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting...Now Working..

Corrigan

Nov 18, 2006
A question that hopefully someone can answer...

My husband and I are Canadian. Recently a friend of ours from the US came up to visit us for a while. He loved it here, and decided to move and stay here. His parents mailed his things to him and he was given a job here.

Now he is currently working already, and spoke to his employer about getting a Work Permit, which they agreed upon and said they would help him. Well, of course the employer is dodging the situation, so we are going to do things ourselves.

Is he still eligible to get a work permit even though he is already in Canada and employed? He wants to stay and work here...possibly take permanent residency someday..but we're unsure of how to proceed..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Corrigan said:
A question that hopefully someone can answer...

My husband and I are Canadian. Recently a friend of ours from the US came up to visit us for a while. He loved it here, and decided to move and stay here. His parents mailed his things to him and he was given a job here.

Now he is currently working already, and spoke to his employer about getting a Work Permit, which they agreed upon and said they would help him. Well, of course the employer is dodging the situation, so we are going to do things ourselves.

Is he still eligible to get a work permit even though he is already in Canada and employed? He wants to stay and work here...possibly take permanent residency someday..but we're unsure of how to proceed..
At the moment is working illegally and is subject to deportation/removal. As he has worked without authorization he is ineligble for a work permit for 6 months after he has left Canada. You can't just move to country and start working.

PMM