+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Nova Scotia after nomination

nonnemacher

Aug 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife and I got nominated by NS a few days ago. We got so excited that we decided to hop on a flight from Toronto to Halifax this weekend. We wanted to visit the province and get a feel of the Halifax region.

I just want to clarify that this is my first impression, and we stayed there only for two days (Saturday and Sunday). I will compare Halifax with Toronto, where we`ve been living for a while now.

Traffic: downtown Halifax had some heavy traffic, specially on Saturday morning and afternoon. The suburbs and the highway from/to Halifax were in great condition and not a lot of traffic. We rented a compact car, great for parallel parking in the city centre. We drove to Peggy`s Cove (45km away from Halifax downtown) in about 40 minutes, not a lot of cars on the roads.

Weather: Saturday was a great day, warm temperature (around 22C) and sunny. Sunday was cloudy and raining in the evening. I talked to some people in the city about the weather and they said that January and February were the worse months, lots of snow and cold. Not different from Toronto. At least I`ve read that it`s not as cold as Toronto.

People: people are friendly there. Always willing to help and with a smile on their faces. One of the biggest struggles I have in Toronto is making new friends, maybe we will have better luck in Halifax.

Prices: everything seems to have the same price as Toronto, few things were a little bit cheaper there than the GTA. No big differences.

Housing: lots of places with rent and sale signs, I think we can get a good deal renting a 2 or 3 bedroom there for the same price I pay for 1 bedroom or studio in Toronto.

Tourism: lots of places to see and visit. We didn`t have time to visit a lot of places, but we did visit the boardwalk, citadel and public garden. Everything is clean and I felt safe walking alone at night in downtown Halifax. I visited Dartmouth Sunday night, around 7 PM and everything was closed and streets deserted.

We accepted the nomination and we are looking forward for the next draw of invitations.

Hope to see you guys there in downtown Halifax next year for a beer or two!
:D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)