+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting my boyfriend in Canada

ColdBrewFan28

Jan 23, 2021
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice when applying for a visitor’s visa to come see my boyfriend in Canada. Here is some background info:

-We met in 2018 when I was attending university in Canada on a scholarship from my home country.
- I moved back to my home country in February 2021 and I have a job with a one year contract (April 2021-April 2022).
- I have 5 vacation days to use at any time so I want to take them over the Christmas to New Years week and come visit him.
- I’ll have about $5000 CAD for my trip and my boyfriend is willing to write a letter stating he’ll pay for my expenses while I’m there.
- I’m not currently fully vaccinated but I will be by October 25th.

My questions are:

-Do I apply for tourism and list my boyfriend or do I apply to visit friends and family and list him?
-What can I attach as proof of relationship since we’ve never lived together and have no bills or bank accounts together?
-Do you think I should apply for a tourist visa and leave him off entirely?

TIA!!

Susmit M

Star Member
Aug 9, 2021
Just apply for tourism. Do not mention about your boy friend. This might raise a flag. Since you have already lived in Canada, you will easily get the visa, I think.

Sledge

Star Member
Dec 30, 2020
Edmonton
Category........
VISIT
I don't understand why mentioning her boyfriend would be a red flag. I did just that and my girlfriend's application was approved. In my invitation letter, I also included the last 4 months of my bank statement cover pages and the last 6 months of paystubs, so that I could prove that I could cover her expenses.

To me, the length of visit is the potential red flag, it may be too short.

For proof of relationship, we included the IMM0006 form along with 4 pictures of the two of us together, but with restrictions being lifted, I am not sure if that is still applicable.

Reactions: ColdBrewFan28

ColdBrewFan28

Jan 23, 2021
Oh I didn’t realize the length of the visit could be a red flag. I just figured with weekends and public holidays around Christmas time I could probably stretch those 5 vacation days into a 10 day trip for us to celebrate Christmas together.

I don't understand why mentioning her boyfriend would be a red flag. I did just that and my girlfriend's application was approved. In my invitation letter, I also included the last 4 months of my bank statement cover pages and the last 6 months of paystubs, so that I could prove that I could cover her expenses.

For proof of relationship, we included the IMM0006 form along with 4 pictures of the two of us together, but with restrictions being lifted, I am not sure if that is still applicable.

Susmit M

Star Member
Aug 9, 2021
Some im

Some immigration officers may view this as a potential route to stay over in Canada. The Visa officers are entitled to their opinion and there is nothing applicants can do about it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice when applying for a visitor’s visa to come see my boyfriend in Canada. Here is some background info:

-We met in 2018 when I was attending university in Canada on a scholarship from my home country.
- I moved back to my home country in February 2021 and I have a job with a one year contract (April 2021-April 2022).
- I have 5 vacation days to use at any time so I want to take them over the Christmas to New Years week and come visit him.
- I’ll have about $5000 CAD for my trip and my boyfriend is willing to write a letter stating he’ll pay for my expenses while I’m there.
- I’m not currently fully vaccinated but I will be by October 25th.

My questions are:

-Do I apply for tourism and list my boyfriend or do I apply to visit friends and family and list him?
-What can I attach as proof of relationship since we’ve never lived together and have no bills or bank accounts together?
-Do you think I should apply for a tourist visa and leave him off entirely?

TIA!!
Current requirements is a 15+ day stay.

leaf777

Aug 30, 2021
Just apply for tourism. Do not mention about your boy friend. This might raise a flag. Since you have already lived in Canada, you will easily get the visa, I think.

Current requirements is a 15+ day stay.
Considering that Canada is now accepting non-essential travel since Sept 7, is it possible to get a 3-month long visitor's visa for non-essential travel, particularly for vacationing? Like OP, I'd like to visit friends in Quebec (and explore Quebec during the summer-- I want to do personal research on some places for a creative project) without mentioning them in my application. I'm thinking it's better to apply as a solo traveller since I'd be able to fund my trip, but I'm worried that, even with a 3-month-long itinerary (I'd make reservations that would cover 3 months [summer time]), the VO would still give me a shorter time because 3 months might be "too long" for vacationing.

In short:
1. What's usually the length of period for non-essential (tourism, vacationing) reasons that VOs approve these days?
2. Would an itinerary supported by documentation of reservations be a strong basis for a months-long visitor's visa?