+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada whilst under Spouse VISA application

fridgdesign

Aug 15, 2012
Hi

I posted my Spousal VISA application on 17 August 2012. My wife is in Canada and I'm in UK. What are the rules about going to live or visit her???

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
you can visit all you want, but you can not live in Canada until you receive you PR. come visit for 6 months and apply for an extension hopefully you will have your PR by then.

fridgdesign

Aug 15, 2012
If I went on a one way ticket, do you think that would be a problem at the border? If so, what should I take to prove I was heading back??

Also, when my passport is requested, do you think I can send it back to the UK via my brother to the VISA office? Do you think they would pull me up for that???

Sabre

Jul 26, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2012
AOR Received.
16-07-2012
File Transfer...
23-07-2012
Med's Done....
23-02-2012
Passport Req..
28-12-2012
LANDED..........
The day after we receive COPR
There was absolutely no problems for my wife when she came for a visit. We flew back to Canada together on a one way ticket and simply informed the customs officer that she was coming for a six month visit while we wait out our application. The customs officer was a bit, shall we say, surly and sent us over to immigration. The officer we spoke with in immigration was one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. She asked us a couple of basic questions, then took out a visa form, filled it out and handed it to my wife. She said to us "I gave you 12 months because I believe you guys." Now we may have just lucked out, but I don't think you should have any problems.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
fridgdesign said:
If I went on a one way ticket, do uyou think that would be a problem at the border? If so, what should I take to prove I was heading back??

Also, when my passport is requested, do you think I can send it back to the UK via my brother to the VISA office? Do you think they would pull me up for that???
Hey - your passport won't be requested anymore. Since december 2011, for visa exempt nationalities, they ask for a copy of the passport and issue a COPR ( confirmation of PR), and send it to you. so you can keep your passport with you all the time, no worries.

On a one way ticket - there is always a risk. I think you need to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. Make sure that you take a copy of your application with you, and the fee receipt, to show that you have paid the fees, and you are in the process. If you have a one way ticket, take maybe an extract of bank account to show that if required to leave the country because your tourist visa has expired, you will comply with the obligations. Make sure that you make it clear to the border officer that you will follow the rules. Try not to move with too much stuff... ( but then again - some people have been OK moving with dogs etc). Try and not use the word "moving to live in Canada" - rather explain that you are coming for a long visit to wait out the PR and hope that it will come through etc.

most exempt visa nationals don't get turned down at the border, so you should be fine. if you are given 3 months, once in the country, and before it expires, you can ask for an extension.

So - you should be fine! if you already have the sponsorship approval when you go and stay with her, then take that as well, so the officer can see that you have already been through the first stage.

Good luck,
Sweden

fridgdesign

Aug 15, 2012
When I fly to Canada from the UK and fill out my visit VISA on the plane. How long does that last for? 3 months? 6 months?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
fridgdesign said:
When I fly to Canada from the UK and fill out my visit VISA on the plane. How long does that last for? 3 months? 6 months?
it's up to the visa officer - you fill out the information on the plane, and the visa officer at the border will decide which stamp to put on your passport. Might be 3, or 6 months. Or 12 as the previous person explained... even if you get 3 months only, you can request an extension ( before your previous 3 months are up) and I think in total you can get up to 12 months, so your COPR should be issued by then.

Good luck,
Sweden

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
fridgdesign said:
What should I put on the VISA application you complete on the plane? You know where it says 'duration of visit?'
Since the border official will determine how you long you can stay, you can put however long you like within reason. If you wish to "visit" for 12 months you can try and say 12 months. Most visa's issued are valid for 6 months unless otherwise specified. If you put down 12 months on your visa exempt paperwork, then you could try 12 months, it will be subject to review when you get to the border. :D

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
fridgdesign said:
Do you know the name of the VISA form which you fill in on the plane?
Hey,

I recently went through Vancouver airport (same case as you - visa exempt, partner living in Canada, coming for a 6 months visit), and it was no problem. I didn't have to fill out anything on the plane, but directly at the border, they asked me to fill out a "Custom declaration form", where it asked for how long I was going to stay. I said 6 months, and when asked at the border by the official, I explained that I have asked for 6 months because I have a PR application in process and I'm coming to visit my partner to stay with him until my PR comes through. She stamped my passport without further questions ( I didn't have a return ticket, but proofs of sufficient funds for that, and the email for sponsorship approval, but she didn't ask for any of that), and since there is nothing indicated on the stamp, it means it's OK for 6 months...

Good luck,
Sweden