+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada While OWP is Processed

Mar 8, 2013
Hello!

I am a british citizen and I am applying for an open work permit to join my partner who is studying in Vancouver. I will be sending off the OWP application this week, and the processing time is two months, so I should hear an answer by the end of November.

Whatever the answer, I intend to visit my partner for christmas. I am looking at booking flights to arrive in Canada mid December. I would very much like to know how this plan would be affected if a) I have not heard back from immigration before the proposed arrival date and b) If I am not accepted for the OWP.

In the event of b), I intend to enter the country as a visitor for around 1 month to 6 weeks, before flying home to visit family in the UK, and then return to Canada on a working holiday visa later in the year.

If any one has any experience / knowledge to share it would be very much appreciated. I don't want to book the flights for christmas and find out that my application (either denied or still in process) would restrict my access as a visitor.

Thanks in advance for your help!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I may be in the wrong here but I believe OWP is reserved for those who applied inland sponsorship. So you can't apply for an OWP if you applied outland sponsorship.

Screech339

MrSputnik

Star Member
Aug 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
I may be in the wrong here but I believe OWP is reserved for those who applied inland sponsorship. So you can't apply for an OWP if you applied outland sponsorship.

Screech339
You are not wrong. OWP is not an option for an outland applicant. It is only possible to get an OWP for inland applicants once the sponsor was approved.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Ya there is no such thing as an OWP for outland applicants. Perhaps you mean you're applying for some other kind of work visa available to UK citizens (working holiday, IEC, etc)?

Anyways you can come at any time as a visitor, and no visa is required.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The OP has not applied for sponsorship. His common-law partner is in Canada on a study permit and he has applied for an Open Work Permit based on her status. He's just posted in the wrong section of the forum :)

Mark, as a visa-exempt Brit, you are free to enter the country as a visitor while your OWP app is processing.

If the OWP is refused (little chance of that provided you guys were able to show enough evidence to prove your relationship and common-law status), you could still enter as a visitor, leave and re-enter later on the working holiday visa.

In future, you're better off posting in the International Student section of the forum, as this section is for Canadian citizens and PRs sponsoring their families.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
I believe he can obtain an OWP since she's on a study permit. At least I think so.

The same with somebody who comes and works here their spouse can get an OWP that way (LMO required jobs)

MrSputnik

Star Member
Aug 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh I am sorry. Since this is posted within the FCS I assumed that they are already applying for PR sponsorship. My bad.

Mar 8, 2013
Oh Lord!

I am so sorry for posting in the wrong section! Is there an admin that can move the thread?

Thanks very much for the replies anyway, very much appreciated!

x