+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada - PR card expired

aranrana

May 31, 2018
Hello!

I became a PR back in 2019, however my card has now expired. I also hadn't met my residency requirements so in effect didn't qualify back in 2022 any longer.

I want to visit Canada as a tourist in February 2025. What is the process in me renouncing my PR given the card has already expired? Is it easy enough to do this at the border when I visit for a holiday?

I am a British passport holder, so would usually just require an eTA to visit. However I assume that even though my card has expired, I've not formally lost my PR status, so not sure if an application for an eTA will even go through smoothly.

Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello!

I became a PR back in 2019, however my card has now expired. I also hadn't met my residency requirements so in effect didn't qualify back in 2022 any longer.

I want to visit Canada as a tourist in February 2025. What is the process in me renouncing my PR given the card has already expired? Is it easy enough to do this at the border when I visit for a holiday?

I am a British passport holder, so would usually just require an eTA to visit. However I assume that even though my card has expired, I've not formally lost my PR status, so not sure if an application for an eTA will even go through smoothly.

Thanks!
If you have no plans to live and work in Canada then apply online to renounce your PR. You cannot do it at a border. You are not eligible for ETA. If you don’t want to renounce then you would have to go through a Canadian land border. There CBSA will let you in but may start the process to revoke PR.

aranrana

May 31, 2018
If you have no plans to live and work in Canada then apply online to renounce your PR. You cannot do it at a border. You are not eligible for ETA. If you don’t want to renounce then you would have to go through a Canadian land border. There CBSA will let you in but may start the process to revoke PR.
So at the moment, I would be unable to fly into Canada? Given my PR has expired and I can't apply for an eTA?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So at the moment, I would be unable to fly into Canada? Given my PR has expired and I can't apply for an eTA?
Correct. You are PR not a visitor. Only way to fly directly to Canada is to a) renounce PR to apply for ETA or b) Apply for PRTD to prove that you are ready to move back to live/work in Canada. PRTD can be refused and the PR cancelled.

Other option is to fly to US, and cross at a land border as PR. You could renounce there but will take time.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
“Submitting an application to voluntarily renounce PR status
It is important to note that the legislation does not require an officer to assess the reasons why a client has submitted an application to voluntarily renounce PR status.

Clients who wish to voluntarily renounce their PR status must submit a completed application form (IMM 5782) and all required supporting documents (see Document Checklist IMM 5783 and Guide 5781), including surrender of their PR card, to one of the following offices for processing:

• In Canada – by mail to the Operations Support Centre (OSC) at the following address:
    Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
    Operations Support Centre
    Voluntary Renunciation of PR Status
    365 Laurier Avenue West
    Ground Floor Mailroom, South Tower
    Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1
  • In Canada – at a port of entry upon arrival
  • Outside Canada – at a migration office

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
“Submitting an application to voluntarily renounce PR status
It is important to note that the legislation does not require an officer to assess the reasons why a client has submitted an application to voluntarily renounce PR status.

Clients who wish to voluntarily renounce their PR status must submit a completed application form (IMM 5782) and all required supporting documents (see Document Checklist IMM 5783 and Guide 5781), including surrender of their PR card, to one of the following offices for processing:

• In Canada – by mail to the Operations Support Centre (OSC) at the following address:
    365 Laurier Avenue West
    Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1
Just to add:
We recommend that you apply for Voluntary Renunciation of your PR status first, and apply for your TRV or eTA once you receive the approval of your Voluntary Renunciation.

Note
: If you choose to renounce your PR status after you submit an eTA application, your Voluntary Renunciation of Permanent Resident Status application must be completed and submitted online through your secure online account in order for IRCC to continue processing your eTA application. You will be provided with instructions on how to do this after you apply for an eTA.

aranrana

May 31, 2018
Thanks both.

To clarify, this is on the guide 5781 :

Who is eligible to renounce their permanent resident status?
To renounce your status as a permanent resident, you must:

• be a permanent resident of Canada;
Even though my card has expired, I am definitely still classed as a permanent resident of Canada?

And secondly, being in the UK it seems I need to submit a paper form application to the London high commission. But if I apply for an eTA before renouncing, I can complete my renunciation via my online account which seems easier?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks both.

To clarify, this is on the guide 5781 :

Who is eligible to renounce their permanent resident status?
To renounce your status as a permanent resident, you must:

• be a permanent resident of Canada;
Even though my card has expired, I am definitely still classed as a permanent resident of Canada?

And secondly, being in the UK it seems I need to submit a paper form application to the London high commission. But if I apply for an eTA before renouncing, I can complete my renunciation via my online account which seems easier?
You are definitely still a PR. The expiry of your PR card is irrelevant to your status.

I would recommend applying online to renounce your PR status.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Just to add:
We recommend that you apply for Voluntary Renunciation of your PR status first, and apply for your TRV or eTA once you receive the approval of your Voluntary Renunciation.

Note
: If you choose to renounce your PR status after you submit an eTA application, your Voluntary Renunciation of Permanent Resident Status application must be completed and submitted online through your secure online account in order for IRCC to continue processing your eTA application. You will be provided with instructions on how to do this after you apply for an eTA.
Key word is “ recommended “ not mandatory

They could go via the States like everyone is always recommending on here , and per the instructions below give the documents at the POE
    365 Laurier Avenue West
    Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1