+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa processing is half way through. Good thing or bad thing? + Updating app

AriaDSN

Jun 20, 2014
Hi.

I don't have my study permit/TRV yet. But I sent in my application to the Visa Centre about 8 weeks ago, and the average processing time for my country is 12 weeks. Well, that's if you don't include the 3 weeks processing time of the medical exam (I'm not sure if it's included in the 12 weeks. I called the visa application centre to confirm, but they couldn't give me a definite answer). So if I include the medical exam, that's 15 weeks. I've found no information whatsoever on the internet about how long it would usually take before they give you a refusal.

Also, another thing that scares me is that the earliest I can get an approval is on July 21st, and that surpasses the expiry date of my letter of acceptance (which is July 2nd). I called the visa application centre yet again to ask about what I can do about it, but I was told that I'd have to wait for the embassy to contact me about. But being the stubborn paranoid that I am, after reading the school's international refund policy, I went ahead and paid the fees to secure my seat. Because I'm scared as hell that I'll receive a refusal or something just because of my LOA's validity. :'(

But the thing is there really isn't a sure fire way of sending the receipt to the embassy (to support my application after July 2nd). They don't even take calls about applications. The only thing you CAN do is send them a case-specific enquiry through CIC. It actually says you should use it if:
"1) You have submitted an application at a visa office abroad. 2) The information you seek is not available on E-cas . 3) Your application has exceeded normal processing times. We will not respond to your enquiry if the application is within normal processing times. Information on processing times. 4)You wish to report important changes regarding your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in employment, acquisition of a new educational credential, results of an approved language test."

But anyway, having nothing to lose, I still went ahead and sent them an enquiry and attached the receipt to it. I don't know how that's gonna turn out though. All I've gotten so far is an email that says "We confirm receipt of your email to the visa office. We will review your message shortly and if you do not receive a reply within our service standards (28 days), this means that the information requested is available on our websites, or your application is still within processing times." :-X

So my questions are:
1) How long does it usually take for an application to be refused? Do they do refusals straight away? If yes, does that mean it's a good sign that I haven't heard from the embassy yet?

2) Has anyone encountered similar problems about updating study permit applications like the one I stated above? Or at least, can someone please give me any sort of insight or advice about what else I can do about having the embassy acknowledge the receipt I sent them as something to support my application?

I apologise for the lengthy post. I just want everything to be cleared up. I thank you in advance for your help. ;D