+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa/Immigration Advice regarding Fiance/Future Wife

mkrock

Jan 4, 2022
Hello,

I am an Indian citizen, working in canada on a post graduate open work permit (PGWP). Recently, I got engaged to my longtime girlfriend (Indian citizen) and we are planning to get married in India during July 2022. Also, I would be eligible to apply for PR via Canadian experience class (CEC) stream in July 2022.

Please let me know which is the best option from below or Please suggest me one.

1) Currently, I am planning to apply her a visitor visa to Canada by giving reasons like to meet a friend/tourism purpose. If she is approved for visitor visa, Can she travel with me to canada post marriage and later can i apply for spousal open work permit/ PR application from inside canada?

2) Apply for Visitor visa for my wife after marriage and if approved, travel to canada and then apply for spousal work permit/Include her as dependent in my PR application.

2) Apply for Spousal open work permit post marriage -But processing time is too long almost 35 weeks from India.

3) After marriage, Will apply for PR via CEC and add my wife as a dependent.

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
If you can apply for TRV (visit) before marriage, that is the best option. Otherwise you are left to sponsor your wife while she is in India (after you are married).
I was sponsored by my PR wife years ago. But before we got married, I applied and was given a visitor visa (so that we would come to Canada together after the wedding abroad).

raga124

Jan 8, 2022
I am in one of the scenarios right now. I got recently married exactly a month ago. I hold a Open PGWP and my wife is eligible for an open wp as well. But i can see that the processing time for open work permit is 31 weeks and a visitor visa is 47 days. I am thinking of the following options:
1. apply for a visitor visa and once she is in canada, apply an open wp for her or apply PR for both of us.
2. apply for an open wp and then if it doesnt get approved in a month, apply for family reunification program.

the doubts i have are that
1. i dont know if WP applications are eligible for family reunification and if it is, should i include the family reunification forms along with her open work permit applications while applying. (links to what forms should i include for family reunification is much appreciated).
2. if i apply for visitor visa and in the mean time, if the corono situation gets worse, would ircc stop processing visitor visas first and process wp or sp first?