+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Very Weird Issue with police certificate from South Korea

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
People who need to get a PCC from South Korea have to arrange a friend who lives there do it for them.
Finally my friend in South Korea managed to get my police certificate. I think he made a mistake though :(
I wanted to check with you to see if I need to get a new one. There is a field called "Purpose of Reference" which is written "Personal verification only", and then there is a box in the bottom of the page that says "This reply can be used for personal verification only and .." and goes on to say you can go to jail for up to 2 years and fined if you use this certificate for any OTHER purpose.

Is it the same for your certificate too? I have only two weeks left to submit all documents to CIC and feel really anxious what to do. I am afraid if I submit this to CIC, then I will be automatically a criminal in South Korea. Worse than that if CIC tries to verify it with Korean authorities, they can prosecute me for submitting this for immigration purpose.
I appreciate a quick reply.

Thank a lot,

amanjpro

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2015
AOR Received.
21-12-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2016
rezasorna said:
People who need to get a PCC from South Korea have to arrange a friend who lives there do it for them.
Finally my friend in South Korea managed to get my police certificate. I think he made a mistake though :(
I wanted to check with you to see if I need to get a new one. There is a field called "Purpose of Reference" which is written "Personal verification only", and then there is a box in the bottom of the page that says "This reply can be used for personal verification only and .." and goes on to say you can go to jail for up to 2 years and fined if you use this certificate for any OTHER purpose.

Is it the same for your certificate too? I have only two weeks left to submit all documents to CIC and feel really anxious what to do. I am afraid if I submit this to CIC, then I will be automatically a criminal in South Korea. Worse than that if CIC tries to verify it with Korean authorities, they can prosecute me for submitting this for immigration purpose.
I appreciate a quick reply.

Thank a lot,
I wouldn't risk it myself, if I were you, I would have asked my friend to get me another one directed to CIC or to "whom it may concern"

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
amanjpro said:
I wouldn't risk it myself, if I were you, I would have asked my friend to get me another one directed to CIC or to "whom it may concern"
I am going to start the process again. Bad thing is that my friend who got it for me will go to a business trip. I found a lawyer but it gonna cost a lot of money to pay him doing it.

Weird thing is that this morning I called a Korean immigration lawyer here in Canada, because having so many Korean clients she saw a lot of these certificates. She told me it is fine on the phone. Although I am still scared. I think tomorrow I am going to visit her office just to make sure.

This is crazy though. I mean 2 years of jail and 20,000$ of fine for using a certificate which is issued to you. Something I don't understand.

e3189c

Aug 20, 2015
If you live in GTA area you can go to Consulate of Korea and request background check there. It's free and it took less than a month to get it done for me. Certificate comes already in English, so you don't need to translate it

can-toronto.mofa.go.kr/english/am/can-toronto/visa/criminal/index.jsp

Consulate in Vancouver also provides background check service

can-vancouver.mofa.go.kr/english/am/can-vancouver/visa/criminal/index.jsp

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
e3189c said:
If you live in GTA area you can go to Consulate of Korea and request background check there. It's free and it took less than a month to get it done for me. Certificate comes already in English, so you don't need to translate it

can-toronto.mofa.go.kr/english/am/can-toronto/visa/criminal/index.jsp

Consulate in Vancouver also provides background check service

can-vancouver.mofa.go.kr/english/am/can-vancouver/visa/criminal/index.jsp
I think you are making the same mistake that I was doing. There is something tricky with CIC requirement for Korean police certificate. CIC needs certificate that includes you elapsed records, and investigation records. This one is different from the one that you can apply for through Korean consulate and embassies. I know at least one member of this forum who is rejected due to using the wrong certificate. What CIC needs is only issued in police stations inside South Korea. In CIC website they mistakenly wrote you can apply through embassies which is not correct, what they want is not the one that embassies issue. If you have time rush and get the correct certificate.

Sep 9, 2015
I got rejected today because of the Korean Police Record check problem.

Specifically, your application does not include the following elements:
- police certificates
The South Korea police certificates (Criminal Records Check Reply) (CRCR) which you provided with your application are not acceptable as they indicate only criminal records have been searched.

Please note: As instructed on the CIC website, the Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply (CIRCR) is required and must indicate that all records have been searched, including any lapsed records.

8 months of effort thrown out. Time to reapply again.... from the beginning.

beans on toast

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
Sent With App
LANDED..........
16-08-2016
afolabicrystal said:
I got rejected today because of the Korean Police Record check problem.

Specifically, your application does not include the following elements:
- police certificates
The South Korea police certificates (Criminal Records Check Reply) (CRCR) which you provided with your application are not acceptable as they indicate only criminal records have been searched.

Please note: As instructed on the CIC website, the Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply (CIRCR) is required and must indicate that all records have been searched, including any lapsed records.

8 months of effort thrown out. Time to reapply again.... from the beginning.

May i ask what police certificate you had from the Korean embassy?
I got one late last year, and got a new one in July this year (at which the form at the embassy was different) and the certificate that came back was slightly different. I am hoping that this 'newer' one is good and that i dont need to get in touch with a Korean Police Station!
Thanks

GG_23

Aug 24, 2015
Hi Guys,

Well I live in Korea and got the damn PCC from Gangnam Police station and still CIC rejected it yesterday stating that it is not the one we want! I have no freaking clue what they need..any idea any help???

GG

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
GG_23 said:
Hi Guys,

Well I live in Korea and got the damn PCC from Gangnam Police station and still CIC rejected it yesterday stating that it is not the one we want! I have no freaking clue what they need..any idea any help???

GG
If you live in Korea it is easy.
I have the application form. A nice guy from Seoul sent it to me and I gave a friend power of attorney to go and get it for me.
Please send me a private message with your email address, I can send it to you.
you have to ask for a criminal records(including lapsed criminal sentences), investigation records (범죄경력(실효된 형 포함), 수사경력).

In the police station they may ask for a "Certificate of Entry/Departure Record". You can get it in any immigration office in Seoul.

cat89

Jul 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2015
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
Med's Done....
Passed 26-02-2016 (after re-assessment)
Interview........
Paid RPRF 08-12-2015
Passport Req..
16-03-2016
So I actually have the Criminal Records (including lapsed criminal sentences), investigation records but I didn't submit it at the time of my application b/c of the whole "you will be fined".

Should I still submit it to the CIC?
Did you confirm we can use this document and that we won't be fined or legally punished as this document states?

Please help!

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
cat89 said:
So I actually have the Criminal Records (including lapsed criminal sentences), investigation records but I didn't submit it at the time of my application b/c of the whole "you will be fined".

Should I still submit it to the CIC?
Did you confirm we can use this document and that we won't be fined or legally punished as this document states?

Please help!
I know that weird fine and jail term in the bottom of the document. I asked an immigration firm with most Korean clients here. They told me that sentence refers to the person that you submitted the document too. So for example if you submit it to someone for specific purpose and they use it for another thing, then they will be fined. They assured me it is written below all documents from their clients and it is fine. I submitted it and so far no problem, my application is in process.

beans on toast

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
Med's Done....
Sent With App
LANDED..........
16-08-2016
rezasorna said:
If you live in Korea it is easy.
I have the application form. A nice guy from Seoul sent it to me and I gave a friend power of attorney to go and get it for me.
Please send me a private message with your email address, I can send it to you.
you have to ask for a criminal records(including lapsed criminal sentences), investigation records (범죄경력(실효된 형 포함), 수사경력).

In the police station they may ask for a "Certificate of Entry/Departure Record". You can get it in any immigration office in Seoul.

Hi, I tried to send you a PM to send me the application form - thank you in advance!
Do you have any idea how to get the 'Certificate of Entry/Departure Record' from within Canada??

cat89

Jul 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2015
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
Med's Done....
Passed 26-02-2016 (after re-assessment)
Interview........
Paid RPRF 08-12-2015
Passport Req..
16-03-2016
rezasorna said:
I know that weird fine and jail term in the bottom of the document. I asked an immigration firm with most Korean clients here. They told me that sentence refers to the person that you submitted the document too. So for example if you submit it to someone for specific purpose and they use it for another thing, then they will be fined. They assured me it is written below all documents from their clients and it is fine. I submitted it and so far no problem, my application is in process.

Thanks for the clarification!

Jan 19, 2016
I have the Korean crim check that you (or your power of attorney) need to take to a korean police station (with lapsed crim charges)

And power of attorney form you need to fill out to have someone get it for you.

visajourney. com/forums/topic/533930-south-korea-obtaining-a-police-certificate/

or

Email me tim.joseph.murphy@gmail.com

coleengamer

Nov 13, 2016
rezasorna said:
I think you are making the same mistake that I was doing. There is something tricky with CIC requirement for Korean police certificate. CIC needs certificate that includes you elapsed records, and investigation records. This one is different from the one that you can apply for through Korean consulate and embassies. I know at least one member of this forum who is rejected due to using the wrong certificate. What CIC needs is only issued in police stations inside South Korea. In CIC website they mistakenly wrote you can apply through embassies which is not correct, what they want is not the one that embassies issue. If you have time rush and get the correct certificate.
hi there.

please also send me the right forms to fill out for the corrcet police clearance from south korea? my email add is idsakuragi_10@yahoo.com. thanks so much...