+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validity of Foreign Divorce for spousal sponsorship

maraoof

Aug 4, 2009
Hi Guys,

Background Info:

- Canadian citizen living in Dubai, U.A.E as a resident (lived in dubai for more than 1 year). Was legally married in Ontario, Canada. Divorce filed in Dubai, U.A.E. Spouse is living in Canada for more than a year.
- Will be remarrying in Dubai UAE after obtaining the Divorce Certificate from Dubai Court.

Question:

- Will the foreign divorce certificate from Dubai be valid and acceptable by CIC when I apply for spousal sponsorship for spouse after marriage? Or do I need to obtain Canadian divorce certificate for spousal sponsorship to avoid any rejection later.

Thank you,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys,

Background Info:

- Canadian citizen living in Dubai, U.A.E as a resident (lived in dubai for more than 1 year). Was legally married in Ontario, Canada. Divorce filed in Dubai, U.A.E. Spouse is living in Canada for more than a year.
- Will be remarrying in Dubai UAE after obtaining the Divorce Certificate from Dubai Court.

Question:

- Will the foreign divorce certificate from Dubai be valid and acceptable by CIC when I apply for spousal sponsorship for spouse after marriage? Or do I need to obtain Canadian divorce certificate for spousal sponsorship to avoid any rejection later.

Thank you,
Was your ex-spouse living with you in Dubai before the divorce? During the separation?